6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 5:10 PM by Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant

Defaulting of SubInventory / Locator

Rajeev R
      Hi

We have configured Subinventory as locator controlled. I need inputs on below scenarios -

Can we default Subinventory and Locator at the time of PO Receipt. My understanding is SubInventory can be defaulted by maintaining subinventory at Item - Org in Item Master / Subinventory on PO Line / Transaction default. Is there any alternate option?

Locator is dynamically controlled and the user can give the locator at the time of PO Receipt. Locator can be given in Item Transaction Default screen but as we have millions of items so the process will become very cumbersome. Is there any good alternative to default the Locator at the time of PO Receipt.

For drop ship orders, users would not like to enter the subinventory and locator for each line. Subinventory can be defaulted but how to default a single value of locator for multiple lines at the time of PO Receipt.

Pl share your thoughts!

Thanks!
      Rajeev
        • 1. Re: Defaulting of SubInventory / Locator
          Mahendra
          Rajeev R wrote:
          Hi

We have configured Subinventory as locator controlled. I need inputs on below scenarios -

Can we default Subinventory and Locator at the time of PO Receipt. My understanding is SubInventory can be defaulted by maintaining subinventory at Item - Org in Item Master / Subinventory on PO Line / Transaction default. Is there any alternate option?

Locator is dynamically controlled and the user can give the locator at the time of PO Receipt. Locator can be given in Item Transaction Default screen but as we have millions of items so the process will become very cumbersome. Is there any good alternative to default the Locator at the time of PO Receipt.

For drop ship orders, users would not like to enter the subinventory and locator for each line. Subinventory can be defaulted but how to default a single value of locator for multiple lines at the time of PO Receipt.

Pl share your thoughts!

Thanks!
          Rajeev
          I guess..if you want to default subinventory/locator while PO Receipt..you have to restrict them in item master..even if you have defined in item transaction form..i observed that they won't be defaulted without resticting them.

As you said if it is dynamically controlled..user can give locator information randomly..i think if it is prespecfied..he will be bound to choose from existing combination only..and locators cannot be defaulted i guess...someone correct me if am wrong

HTH
          Mahendra
          • 2. Re: Defaulting of SubInventory / Locator
            Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
            Rajeev, assuming your subinventory is locator controlled, you can let a locator default automatically at PO receipt.
            You are familiar with the "item transaction defaults" screen. Just go to the locator tab and create a new record with type = Receiving.
            If you have a large number of records, you can do load those values programmatically.

Since it is only a default, the user can override it at the time of receiving.

The other option is to modify the receipt traveller. This way, a default can be printed on it based on your custom logic. And when the warehouse person PUTS AWAY the material, he enters the put away tranasction with the locator where it was stored. This works especially well if you are using handheld scanners for put away. You print the non-barcoded locator on the receipt traveler. And you make the person scan the actual locator on the rack. This ensures that he put it away at the right location.

For drop ship orders, why are you receiving them in a locator controlled subinventory? Or you are not using the true drop-ship functionalty in Oracle?

Hope this helps,
            Sandeep Gandhi
            • 3. Re: Defaulting of SubInventory / Locator
              Mahendra
              Sandeep Gandhi, Independent Consultant wrote:
              Rajeev, assuming your subinventory is locator controlled, you can let a locator default automatically at PO receipt.
              You are familiar with the "item transaction defaults" screen. Just go to the locator tab and create a new record with type = Receiving.
              If you have a large number of records, you can do load those values programmatically.

Since it is only a default, the user can override it at the time of receiving.

The other option is to modify the receipt traveller. This way, a default can be printed on it based on your custom logic. And when the warehouse person PUTS AWAY the material, he enters the put away tranasction with the locator where it was stored. This works especially well if you are using handheld scanners for put away. You print the non-barcoded locator on the receipt traveler. And you make the person scan the actual locator on the rack. This ensures that he put it away at the right location.

For drop ship orders, why are you receiving them in a locator controlled subinventory? Or you are not using the true drop-ship functionalty in Oracle?

Hope this helps,
              Sandeep Gandhi
              My bad..sandeep is right..what i did was i haven't created a record for subinventory in item default screen..i just created it for locator..so when i was receiving it..i can't find the default values..i just went ahead and created a record for combination of subinventory and locator..and i could see them..been defaulted..

Sandeep..

what do you mean by true drop ship functionality in oracle..can you be more specific please??
              we follow by defining the item to a least used org..when we create a SO..we do select it as external source..then we logical receive PO...and do the logical receipt

Any other way you are talking about??

Thanks
              Mahendra
              • 4. Re: Defaulting of SubInventory / Locator
                What you describe is the standard way. You create a sales order with source=external and then create a Req and a PO. Upon receipt, Oracle ships the sales order.

If you use this standard way , you don't have to enter locator.
                Rajeev was asking about entering locators for drop ship receipts. That made me wonder if he is using regular PO/Sales orders to somehow mimick drop ship.

Hope this helps,
                Sandeep Gandhi
                • 5. Re: Defaulting of SubInventory / Locator
                  Rajeev R
                  Sandeep -
                  Thanks for your inputs . I could not fully understand ' For drop ship orders, why are you receiving them in a locator controlled subinventory? Or you are not using the true drop-ship functionalty in Oracle?' -
                  In our design we have one single inventory org which is dynamically controlled so all sub inventories are locator controlled. Now, if we do drop ship cycle - at the time of Logical PO Receipt , we have to receive it in subinventory to complete the flow.

Do you think there is any alternate solution, pl let us know about it.

Thanks
                  Rajeev
                  • 6. Re: Defaulting of SubInventory / Locator
                    Rajeev, you should create a new subinventory (say Dropship) and receive drop ship POs in that subinventory.
                    You should make it non-locator controlled.

Hope this helps,
                    Sandeep Gandhi