This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 3:28 PM by safarmer RSS

PC/SC Driver for conntactless readers

872840 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear all,

i have a question about pc/sc drivers for contactless readers. I have some contactless readers which use their own pc/sc drivers. so, the commands for each reader are different. I thought that ps/sc has standard commands. is it not true?
  • 1. Re: PC/SC Driver for conntactless readers
    Umer Journeyer
    It depends if your card support Global Platform or not. And for javacard GP compliance cards there are standard commands.
    You should visit to GP website to download GP document and API for contact-less cards.
    http://www.globalplatform.org/specificationdownload.asp?id=7516
  • 2. Re: PC/SC Driver for conntactless readers
    816119 Journeyer
    what cards do you work with?
  • 3. Re: PC/SC Driver for conntactless readers
    867670 Newbie
    What kind of contactless reader are you using, Tina?

I am using ACR 128 and I have driver for this as well. If yours is similar to mine, then I can send you my driver

Furthermore, if you are using window, I presumably think that it might have mechanism to update driver automatically when you plug your reader into.

Cheers,

Jason
  • 4. Re: PC/SC Driver for conntactless readers
    872840 Newbie
    Thanks All,

Dear Umer :
    I have developed an application for java cards which implements all global platform ( GP 2.1.1) commands , but I didn't know that we can use global platform for contactless cards! I use mifare plus S 4k, Desfire 4k and mifare classic 1k. How can I realize that my cards support GP?

Dear 666 :
    I use mifare plus S 4k, Desfire 4k and mifare classic 1k.

Dear Jason,
    my readers are Omnikey 5321 V2 and Gemalto Prox PU/CU. I work with them in windows. each of them has their own PC/SC driver and I dont know how can i send the same commands for both of them.
    thank u for your suggestion, again :)
  • 5. Re: PC/SC Driver for conntactless readers
    816119 Journeyer
    How can I realize that my cards support GP?
    they do not
    I use mifare plus S 4k, Desfire 4k and mifare classic 1k.
    from my understanding:
    a. reader can support not all features of PC/SC specification. For example, one reader can have volatile memory for key storing, while another reader have only non-volatile key store. So, in common case, you have to know the reader you work with to construct correct Load Key command.
    b. some mifare classic commands (increment/decrement) are not defined in PC/SC specification, so their realisation is proprietary for readers. So, you, again, have to know with what reader you work.
    c. mifare plus in SL2 have more commands which are specific for these cards and are not defined in PC/SC specification, so more commands are proprietary for readers.
    d. mifare plus in SL0/SL3 and Desfire cards work with T=CL protocol, so in this case work with such cards must be identical for any PC/SC reader.
  • 6. Re: PC/SC Driver for conntactless readers
    safarmer Expert
    Hi,

Your MiFARE only cards will not work for Java Card. You could use something like NXP SmartMX (JCOP) that supports both JC/GP and MiFARE. When you have a card with both javacard and MiFARE you can send standard PC/SC commands to the card for GP and you can use the contactless reader driver specific commands for MiFARE.

For GP cards, the commands are the same across different readers. The PC/SC drive takes care of the reader specific I/O.

Cheers,
    Shane