This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2012 12:09 PM by NicePseronMahou RSS

Insertion of nodes using XQuery

NicePseronMahou Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everybody,
I am using XQuery Update Facility Language for updating XML documents,
For insertion of new nodes under existing ones, i use the primitive insert node into target+ but the XPath expression target+ must be evaluated to only single node; otherwise a dynamic error is raised.
My question is : in what purpose this condition is imposed ? and how can i insert new node under different nodes ?.

Thank you for advance.
  • 1. Re: Insertion of nodes using XQuery
    odie_63 Guru
    Hi,
    My question is : in what purpose this condition is imposed ? and how can i insert new node under different nodes ?.
    To process a set of nodes in XQuery, the general approach is to use a sequence iterator (a for expression).
    The same applies here with XQUF and the insert primitive.

For example :
    copy $d := <root><item/><item/></root>
    modify (
     for $i in $d/item
     return insert node <test/> into $i
    )
    return $d
    will return :
    <root>
      <item>
        <test/>
      </item>
      <item>
        <test/>
      </item>
    </root>
  • 2. Re: Insertion of nodes using XQuery
    NicePseronMahou Newbie
    Thank you very much,
    I would be very grateful if you help me to know the goal of this condition+ because it is not imposed in other languages like XUpdate*.
    This is because i have defined a basic update language based on indexation of XML data, in order to satisfy some properties and make them easy to implement,
    and i am going to translate each XQuery update to my language, but i do not know if i should preserve this condition or not.

Best regards.
  • 3. Re: Insertion of nodes using XQuery
    odie_63 Guru
    I would be very grateful if you help me to know the goal of this condition+ because it is not imposed in other languages like XUpdate*.
    Short answer : because that's what the specification says... :)

OK, well I guess that's because primarily XQUF is designed to work with XML databases.
    If I use an analogy with relational databases and SQL language :

- a SQL INSERT statement only targets a single table, so does the XQUF insert primitive by targeting only a single node per expression
    - a SQL DELETE statement can target multiple rows, the delete primitive too.

XQUF is an extension of XQuery, and as such it's meant to combine with the base language.
    From a certain point of view, as I said earlier, it's not true to say that XQUF's insert primitive can't process multiple targets, because to do so we just have to use the base language : a FLWOR expression.

If XUpdate does not impose this restriction then I suppose, one way or another, the implementor has to iterate through the target nodes anyway, using the provided XPath expression.
  • 4. Re: Insertion of nodes using XQuery
    NicePseronMahou Newbie
    Thank you very much for your help.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points