3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2012 1:44 PM by 874746 RSS

How to enable smb server in S11?

After installing S11 from the live CD the smb server does not seem to be enabled. This is different from SE11.

For example the following command to enable the smb server generates an error message.
      # svcadm enable -r smb/server
      # svcadm: Pattern 'smb/server' doesn't match any instance

Does anyone know how to properly enable the smb server so data volumes can be shared?

Installing the following package seems to solve that problem.
      # pkg install SUNWsmbs

Similarly, NAPP-IT installs the following package after which the "svcadm enable -r smb/server" command works correctly.
      # pkg install storage-server

But why install a package while CIFS is build into the S11 kernel? I have to admit that I don't understand it and the S11 diocumention does to mention the need to install any packages to enable smb.

THX
        • 1. Re: How to enable smb server in S11?
          budachst
          Usually, one enables smb sharing through ZFS' sharing property, which uses the kernel built-in CFS. However, in SE11 the built-in CIFS lacked some features regarding AD domain integration, which is why I also used the separate package.

So, if you don't have to tie your S11 box to an existing AD you can get away with the built-in CIFS via ZFS sharing.
          • 2. Re: How to enable smb server in S11?
            Mike Gerdts-Oracle
            Installing the following package seems to solve that problem.
            # pkg install SUNWsmbs
            This package was renamed to service/file-system/smb. The magic of pkg dependency resolution hides that from you so that old instructions continue to work.

>
            Similarly, NAPP-IT installs the following package after which the "svcadm enable -r smb/server" command works correctly.
            # pkg install storage-server
            pkg:/group/feature/storage-server has a dependencies on service/file-system/smb, library/samba/libsmbclient, and system/file-system/smb, which give CIFS client and server support.
            But why install a package while CIFS is build into the S11 kernel? I have to admit that I don't understand it and the S11 diocumention does to mention the need to install any packages to enable smb.
            Just because something is built-in to the the kernel doesn't mean that it is part of the minimal core kernel - kernel modules extend the functionality of the kernel and the functionality found in kernel modules can rightly be said to be built-in. That is the case here. SMB (nee CIFS) is made up of kernel modules, libraries, commands, SMF services, man pages, etc. The system/file-system/smb package is what delivers those components. You can use 'pkg contents system/file-system/smb' to see which files are delivered by the package.
            • 3. Re: How to enable smb server in S11?
              Excellent!!!

Appreciate the advice and explanations. I am new to UNIX/Linux and have litterally spent hours trying to figure out how to enable the smb server. Also, now that I know what packages to search for, I found the following useful link on S11 CIFS sharing.

https://blogs.oracle.com/paulie/entry/cifs_sharing_on_solaris_11