1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 24, 2012 5:43 AM by T.F. RSS

Mixed iSCSI and Fibre channel zpool under Solaris Cluster control

jdp.unix
      I have a “Metro SAN” over dual fibre running between data centres 2km apart. Each site has a storage controller and I form the production zpool from one submirror at each site. Works great.

Now I’m told that the second site is moving 20km away and the only connectivity will be via iSCSI – albeit very fast 10GBit/sec iSCSI over fibre. Fibre channel to the host is not an option on this new site. This means my zpool will have one fibre channel submirror, and one iSCSI submirror.

Is this an acceptable setup for both ZFS, and Solaris Cluster (3.2u2 over Solaris 10 10/08)? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Mixed iSCSI and Fibre channel zpool under Solaris Cluster control
          T.F.
          You need to verify if your specific storage system and its firmware is supported with iSCSI and Solaris Cluster.
          If that is the case I don't think there are restrictions implied by Solaris Cluster about how you configure the zpool.

Note though that bandwidth is one thing, but latency another. As such you need to test if the latency implied on the performance is acceptable for your specific workload.

Regards
          Thorsten