This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2012 7:33 PM by Bob T. RSS

Download Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)?

Peter__Rooke Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I'm trying to download the Oracle HTTP server (OHS), and related components - does anyone happen to know which package I need to download from the Oracle E Delivery site?

I'm trying to download only the HTTP Server and so avoid downloading a large fusion middleware install pack (containing Weblogic).

We already have Weblogic (and much more) installed...
  • 1. Re: Download Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)?
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Which version are you looking for ? Older versions are not available, AFAIK. 10g versions are bundled in the 10g Fusion Middleware downloads. In the latest 11g Fusion Middleware installs, Weblogic has replaced OHS.

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Download Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)?
    Peter__Rooke Newbie
    Hi, I was after version 10.3.5.0 (same as the version of Weblogic).

"In the latest 11g Fusion Middleware installs, Weblogic has replaced OHS" - Requirement is to install a web server machine in front of the main application server cluster. This its then going to act as a reverse proxy in front of our actual weblogic cluster. So what is used for this in 11g? From what I understand Weblogic is more of a Application Server rather than a lightweight HTTP server, so what do you use for proxies in the 11g bundle?

(thanks in advance)
  • 3. Re: Download Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)?
    Erik Janssen Pro
    You can use any of the following web servers for this purpose :

<LI>Apache HTTP Server
    <LI>Oracle HTTP Server
    <LI>Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS)
    <LI>Oracle iPlanet Web Server

As long as the web server is supported by the web server plugin, it can be used to proxy requests to a Weblogic Cluster. Check the guide [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/web.1111/e16435/overview.htm]Oracle® Fusion Middleware Using Web Server 1.1 Plug-Ins with Oracle WebLogic Server for further information.

The Oracle HTTP Server is included in the Oracle Fusion Middleware Web Tier Utilities 11g cdrom. This is part of Oracle Fusion Middleware Media packs. This product can be installed in [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e14260/overview.htm#CEGBDFHD]two ways :

<li>Standalone mode
    <li>Using Oracle Enterprise Manager Fusion Middleware Control

The first option doesn't require a WebLogic domain but you will be restricted to command line utilities for startup/shutdown and maintenance. The 2nd option requires a web logic domain. Pending your decision to install you will either need the Oracle Fusion Middleware Web Tier Utilities 11g cdrom or both the Oracle Fusion Middleware Web Tier Utilities 11g cdrom and the Oracle WebLogic Server 11gR1 Generic and Coherence cdrom. You are installing on a separate server anyway and don't have a dependency with the WLS 10.3.5 install other than that you proxy to them so you can use the components from the 11.1.1.6 Fusion Middleware Media pack which was released this week :

<li>Oracle WebLogic Server 11gR1 (10.3.6) Generic and Coherence
    <li>Oracle Fusion Middleware Web Tier Utilities 11g Patch Set 5 (11.1.1.6.0)

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 4. Re: Download Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)?
    Peter__Rooke Newbie
    Thanks Erik, that cleared up a few things.

I don't get to choose; it has to be the OHS software has to be the same version as on the application (Weblogic) tier.

Did find the Oracle web site quite horrid :-(
  • 5. Re: Download Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)?
    Erik Janssen Pro
    That can be a challenge - the 11.1.1.5 version is not available anymore on e-delivery. But from a technical point of view you would even be able to use the 11.1.1.6 on the same server which has an 10.3.5 WLS as long as you create a new MIDDLEWARE home. Obviously can't comment on business requirements :-)

Good luck !
  • 6. Re: Download Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)?
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Just realized that the [url https://updates.oracle.com/ARULink/PatchDetails/process_form?patch_num=12395115]11.1.1.5 version of the WebTier utilities is available as a patch as well - check the link which takes you to My Oracle Support website.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 7. Re: Download Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)?
    Bob T. Newbie
    I see no mention of Glassfish. Do yourself a favor, install Apex listener and Glassfish. http server has shortcomings.

Bob

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points