CKPT Guru
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

In Forum Home » High Availability

I have seen three categories related to Clusterware those are

1) RAC, ASM & Clusterware Installation
2) Real Application Clusters
3) Oracle Clusterware

These many categories really need? Of-course installations & Clusterware can be keep as two divisions why the need of Oracle clusterware again?
  • 1. Re: Clusterware category
    jgarry Guru
    These kinds of divisions are arbitrary. Usually, if there are too many questions in a particular category, people will sit down and try to figure out how to categorize them. So if you look in Database, you'll see not only general, but separate categories for installation and upgrade. The types of questions for installation are going to be different than for ongoing operations. Some people like to follow all of the categories, others may have particular expertise or interest. Categories can die from lack of interest, too.
  • 2. Re: Clusterware category
    CKPT Guru
    jgarry wrote:
    These kinds of divisions are arbitrary. Usually, if there are too many questions in a particular category, people will sit down and try to figure out how to categorize them. So if you look in Database, you'll see not only general, but separate categories for installation and upgrade. The types of questions for installation are going to be different than for ongoing operations. Some people like to follow all of the categories, others may have particular expertise or interest. Categories can die from lack of interest, too.
    Yes i agree in terms of Database -- General, Its a huge area like as you said Installation/upgrade, SQL,PL/SQL, Export,Import/Loader & so on. Its a huge division so very much need. & also there is high floating of threads in Database division.

When in terms of Clusterware, There would be less flow, So Installation & clusterware is very much fine, So my concern was why again Oracle clusterware & Real application clusterware. What is the difference in both of them?

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Clusterware category
    P.Forstmann Guru
    One of the difference is that you can use Oracle Clusterware without RAC cluster. Oracle Clusterware can be used like any active/passive clustering solution.

See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e16794/crschp.htm#CHDGHGJA
  • 4. Re: Clusterware category
    orafad Oracle ACE
    Not sure I understand the confusion -

1) is for Installation topics (since the "grid" stuff is packaged together for installation so obviously coupled)

2, 3) are for non-installation related topics for each product

Also, I'm sure there's a dedicated ASM forum too, making a 4).

Edited by: orafad on Mar 1, 2012 9:24 PM

Edited by: orafad on Mar 1, 2012 9:26 PM
  • 5. Re: Clusterware category
    CKPT Guru
    P. Forstmann wrote:
    One of the difference is that you can use Oracle Clusterware without RAC cluster. Oracle Clusterware can be used like any active/passive clustering solution.

See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e16794/crschp.htm#CHDGHGJA
    Good point. Thanks.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points