This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2012 3:49 PM by EJP RSS

Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?

EJP Guru
Currently Being Moderated
I've recently stumbled across this applet/object parameter as a solution to a problem. However I can't find the official documentation of it anywhere, and believe me I've looked. I did find a reference to it in some Oracle product documentation but nowhere in the Java Plugin or Deployment documents. Has anybody spotted it anywhere? Urban myth? Legend? It certainly seems to work.

Edited by: EJP on 6/03/2012 20:36: corrected typo in title
  • 1. Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    tschodt Pro
    EJP wrote:
    I've recently stumbled across this applet/object parameter as a solution to a problem. However I can't find the official documentation of it anywhere, and believe me I've looked. I did find a reference to it in some Oracle product documentation but nowhere in the Java Plugin or Deployment documents. Has anybody spotted it anywhere? Urban myth? Legend? It certainly seems to work.
    Temporary dyslexia or copy&paste typo?
    When I search for legacy_lifecycle rather than legacy_lifecyle
    Google ( [url http://www.google.com/#q=java+applet+legacy_lifecycle+site:oracle.com]java applet legacy_lifecycle site:oracle.com ) gives a number of official looking hits.
  • 2. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    gimbal2 Guru
    tschodt wrote:
    EJP wrote:
    When I search for legacy_lifecycle rather than legacy_lifecyle
    I can't believe that, Google offers the typo correction itself.

I did the search without the typo and I get no link at all that actually properly documents this property. Certainly nothing from Oracle directly related to the Java plugin. Yeah, bug reports. Which official looking hits are you talking about?
  • 3. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    EJP Guru
    Neither, just a typo when typing here, on an iPad if you must know.
    Google ( [url http://www.google.com/#q=java+applet+legacy_lifecycle+site:oracle.com]java applet legacy_lifecycle site:oracle.com ) gives a number of official looking hits.
    That particular link gives me absolutely nothing whatsoever, but when I did it without your typo, or 'temporary dyslexia', or whatever you want to call it, I only got the peripheral links I described above, and specifically nothing from a recognizable Java JDK document. If you have found an exception please post it instead of just waffling aimlessly.
  • 4. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    tschodt Pro
    EJP wrote:
    That particular link gives me absolutely nothing whatsoever, but when I did it without your typo, or 'temporary dyslexia', or whatever you want to call it, I only got the peripheral links I described above, and specifically nothing from a recognizable Java JDK document. If you have found an exception please post it instead of just waffling aimlessly.
    To me, these look like official Java documents
    [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14571_01/web.1111/e10240/configure.htm#sthref173]Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services Deployment Guide 11g Release 1 (11.1.1) Part Number E10240-03 April 2010
    [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E15523_01/web.1111/e10240/configure.htm#sthref173]Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services Deployment Guide 11g Release 1 (11.1.1) Part Number E10240-02 October 2009
  • 5. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    EJP Guru
    Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services Deployment Guide 11g Release 1 (11.1.1) Part Number E10240-03 April 2010
    Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services Deployment Guide 11g Release 1 (11.1.1) Part Number E10240-02 October 2009
    Not in the slighest.

What they look exactly like is official Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services Deployment Guides, whatever Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services might be. Nothing whatsoever to do with the JDK, although clearly Java is an underlying platform.

I would expect the documentation of an <applet> parameter to be somewhere near the Java documentation for Applets personally, or the Java Plugin.
  • 6. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    gimbal2 Guru
    EJP wrote:
    Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services Deployment Guide 11g Release 1 (11.1.1) Part Number E10240-03 April 2010
    Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services Deployment Guide 11g Release 1 (11.1.1) Part Number E10240-02 October 2009
    They look exactly like official Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services Deployment Guides, whatever Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms Services might be. Nothing whatsoever to do with the JDK, although clearly Java is an underlying platform.

I would expect the documentation of an <applet> parameter to be somewhere near the Java documentation for Applets personally, or the Java Plugin.
    Yeah, but those fusion middleware documents are the only thing to be found it seems. The 2010 link actually is the first document I see that actually describes what the parameter is for other than only stating "turn it on for this specific application" :s The documentation must have existed at one point in time as historical forum posts are full with people that explicitly use it.

Meh, probably one of the victims of the Sun to Oracle migration.
  • 7. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    tschodt Pro
    Searching an old jdk source download shows it is not used by Java per se.
    $ pwd
    /home/download/java/src/jdk-6u23-fcs-src-b05-jrl-12_nov_2010
    $ find . -type f -exec grep -H legacy_lifecycle "{}" \;
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin/AppletViewer.java:        String lifecycle = getParameter("legacy_lifecycle");
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/applet/Applet2Manager.java:        String lifecycle = getParameter("legacy_lifecycle");
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/applet/Applet2ManagerCache.java:if (appletParameters.get("legacy_lifecycle") == null)
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/test/LegacyTest2AppletFrame.html:Legacy Lifecycle Automated Test #2 -- two legacy_lifecycle applets on the same page
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/test/LegacyTest2AppletFrame.html:<param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"></param>
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/test/LegacyTest2AppletFrame.html:<param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"></param>
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/test/LegacyTestAppletFrame1.html:Legacy Lifecycle Automated Test #1 -- two legacy_lifecycle applets in different frames
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/test/LegacyTestAppletFrame1.html:<param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"></param>
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/test/LegacyTestAppletFrame2.html:<param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"></param>
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/test/liveconnect/LegacyLifecycleLiveConnect.html:Tests LiveConnect against a legacy_lifecycle applet. Reload and switch
    deploy/src/plugin/share/classes/sun/plugin2/test/liveconnect/LegacyLifecycleLiveConnect.html:    <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true">
    $
  • 8. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    EJP Guru
    What on earth are you talking about now?

Your search of the JDK source code shows exactly the opposite of what you claim: about a dozen matches, two of them in the Java Plugin itself.

And as it solves my problem, and as I am only using an applet, an <applet> tag, and implicitly the Java plugin, Java 'per se' must use it somewhere.
  • 9. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    baftos Expert
    I think they don't want to encourage developers to use it (except their own developers, of course).
    By the way, what problem does it solve for you? I am asking because if the fact that the applet is not destroy()-ed when you navigate to another page is what makes you happy, just navigate more (without coming back) and it will still be destroyed (try something like 10 navigations).
  • 10. Re: Applet/object <param name="legacy_lifecycle" value="true"/> documentation?
    EJP Guru
    The applet is in a RichFaces rich:tab. Since a fairly recent Firefox update, if you switch rich:tabs within the same FF tab, the applet closes unless you set this parameter to true. With it true, the behaviour is still incorrect in that you get JS unload events when switching rich:tabs, but at least I can keep the applet running. It all appears to be a recent FF bug. Never had a problem with any of this in any other browser, with or without the parameter, and the code has been running since about 2009.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points