How to Get IDs for message:id=

Frank Kulash
      Hi,

On this forum, when I put this in a message:
      {message:id=9360005}
      It appears like this

{message:id=9360005}

If I click on that link, I see this as the URL
      Re: 4. How do I convert rows to columns?

but if I navigate to that page by other means, I see this as the URL
      SQL and PL/SQL FAQ

(Actually, I'm not positive it is the same page. There seem to be multiple ciopies of that page.)

When I see a page I want to cite, and the URL does not include "messagerID=", how can I get the id?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: How to Get IDs for message:id=
          jgarry
          I put message id thread id jive into google, and found this: [url https://community.jivesoftware.com/message/478747]Unique discussion ID available in URL?

I'm not sure you could put jive design into normalized relational terms because of the overlapping attributes. I don't use that message: format, so maybe there's something I'm missing (I guess that would be not having to put in text). Since the syntax exists to hide the url behind an informative text, I just copy and paste the link that goes directly where I want.
          • 2. Re: How to Get IDs for message:id=
            Timo Hahn
            Frank,

the difference (as I see it) is that a messageID points to one post inside a thread. The threaID points to the whole thread. So if you like to point to the whole thread you use { thread: id = 2354783 } ={thread:id=2354783} and if you like to point to a post inside a thread your use { message:id = 10186186 } = {message:id=10186186}. Please note the the message now says 'Re:How to Get ...' instead of the text you see if you use the threadID.
            To get the messageID of a specific post you can put the mouse over the 'Replay' of the post, then you (hopefully) see the messageID in the browsers status bar.

Timo
            • 3. Re: How to Get IDs for message:id=
              orafad
              I was about to reply the same as Timo, so I'll just add that if you go to the thread heading (just above the op), and hover over the little, green square (permlink) to the left, you'll get the url/thread ID of the thread.
              • 4. Re: How to Get IDs for message:id=
                Frank Kulash
                Hi, Timo,
                Timo Hahn wrote:
                ... To get the messageID of a specific post you can put the mouse over the 'Replay' of the post, then you (hopefully) see the messageID in the browsers status bar.

Timo
                Perfect!

Some of the pages I want to cite are in the PL/SQL forum FAQ, which is locked, so there are no "Reply" icons or links. But if I let the mouse hover over the "Report Abuse" icon (the yellow triangle), I see the message id.

Thank you very much!

Testing:
                JGarry's reply is {message:id=10186186}
                • 5. Re: How to Get IDs for message:id=
                  BluShadow
                  Frank Kulash wrote:
                  Hi, Timo,
                  Timo Hahn wrote:
                  ... To get the messageID of a specific post you can put the mouse over the 'Replay' of the post, then you (hopefully) see the messageID in the browsers status bar.

Timo
                  Perfect!

Some of the pages I want to cite are in the PL/SQL forum FAQ, which is locked, so there are no "Reply" icons or links. But if I let the mouse hover over the "Report Abuse" icon (the yellow triangle), I see the message id.
                  If you look at the list of contents at the top of the FAQ and hover your mouse over each link, the message id is the one after the "#" in the URL. e.g. 9360002 for the "How to post a question..." FAQ link.

;)

Edit to add:

I've now updated the contents of the FAQ thread:

{message:id=9359969}

to provide some copy/paste tags to use for each FAQ post.

Edited by: BluShadow on 06-Mar-2012 10:57