3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 9:14 AM by 801926 RSS

Diferences between versions of JavaCard

Dear all,

We have an old fashion Java Card we would like to evolve. For this it would be of great help and time saving reading documentation indicating the differences between the different versions of the JavaCard specification as they evolved.

I need to see the differences from one version to the previous one begining with JC 2.1.2. I mean, differences between 2.1.2 and 2.2, diferences between 2.2 and 2.2.1, between 2.2.1 and 2.2.2, etc.

Is this kind of documentation available?, Where could I find it?.

I know it is a big gap and a big effort, that is the reason I need as much accurate information as possible for a somehow precise evaluation of effort.

Thanks for any help or information you may provide.

Fernando
        • 1. Re: Diferences between versions of JavaCard
          Umer
          fbarranquero wrote:
          Dear all,

Is this kind of documentation available?, Where could I find it?.
          There is no specific document available for that reason provided by standard entities.
          In the each framework, when you will download, you will find their corresponding documents which includes programming notes and technical details. You can read them and find what is the difference.
          • 2. Re: Diferences between versions of JavaCard
            safarmer
            HI,

From my understanding, the API is backwards compatible in that if your code worked correctly on JC 2.1.2 it should work the same on a JC 2.2.2 platform. There are of course API's and methods added in the newer versions. I think this is why there is no real documentation on migrating from one version to the next (that I have noticed anyway). If there were any notes for each version it would be in the developer guide for that version. There could also be a note in the spec for a given version, but I have never looked.

Just compile against the new API and use the correct version of the cap file converter you should be able to see if any API's are different and break your code. I assume you have test cases you can run against a new platform?

Cheers,
            Shane
            • 3. Re: Diferences between versions of JavaCard
              Java Card Runtime Environment spec mandates only one version backward compatibility. While I agree that the API in JC 2.1 is a subset of JC 2.2, a recompilation is required otherwise the JC OS might reject the upload.