This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2012 10:32 AM by Dan.Norris RSS

Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?

user793306 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
we have a need to upgrade our Exadata Storage software but as a project manager and not a techy I need to understand if it will touch the CRS/ASM or if we need to schedule an upgrade of CRS/ASM as a separate component?
  • 1. Re: Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?
    Saurabh Gupta-OC Newbie
    Hi,

Upgrading Exadata Storage Server means you require to apply any Bundle patches on Grid and Rdbms homes and switch level as well.

It can be done in a rolling upgrade or non-rolling upgrade method depending on your down-time (SLA) availability.

Last time I upgraded exadata from 11.2.2.2.0 to 11.2.2.3.5 and it required to down the crs and asm.

Please go through the read me document for the patch you would be applying and follow the steps given there.

Thanks,
    Saurabh
  • 2. Re: Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?
    Saurabh Gupta-OC Newbie
    Forgot to mention...Upgrading exadata software do not upgrade CRS AND ASM.

CRS/ASM upgrade is completely different and separate task.
  • 3. Re: Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?
    user793306 Newbie
    Hi
    Thank you so much is just what we needed
    Much appreciated
  • 4. Re: Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?
    Dan.Norris Employee ACE
    877938 wrote:
    Upgrading Exadata Storage Server means you require to apply any Bundle patches on Grid and Rdbms homes and switch level as well.
    This is not necessarily correct. You aren't required to install bundle patches when upgrading Exadata Storage Server Software. However, most customers do apply updates to Exadata Storage Server Software, infiniband switches, and apply the latest bundle patch at the same time.
    It can be done in a rolling upgrade or non-rolling upgrade method depending on your down-time (SLA) availability.
    True, but this contradicts with the following statement you made...
    Last time I upgraded exadata from 11.2.2.2.0 to 11.2.2.3.5 and it required to down the crs and asm.
    There is no requirement to bring down CRS and ASM to install bundle patches or Exadata software updates -- both can be done in a rolling fashion. Customers may choose a non-rolling upgrade if they wish, but almost every bundle patch and all Exadata 11.2.x->11.2.x software upgrades are rolling installable meaning no application downtime is required by Oracle. Some applications aren't able to tolerate rolling RAC outages and I'd view those as application issues since there are mechanisms available to applications such that they can allow instance outages without compromising availability.
  • 5. Re: Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?
    user793306 Newbie
    thanks Dan
    In my case I have one team of operation staff that look after the machine level components (cell storage, IB software, linux and firmware) and another team who look after the clusterware and various RDBMSs on the machine.

Didnt know if a bit like running the one-command to provision the machine whether a storage patch touched other components on the machine and if I needed to allocate resources from both sets.

In this case I will need to schedule the two teams to work on their various components. We will take the systems down to do it since it's a test system
  • 6. Re: Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?
    Dan.Norris Employee ACE
    user793306 wrote:

In this case I will need to schedule the two teams to work on their various components. We will take the systems down to do it since it's a test system
    If you plan to take an outage for the production system, that's fine. However, if you plan to do a rolling installation on production, you should also do a rolling installation on the test system to ensure the teams are prepared and have the opportunity to rehearse the steps.
  • 7. Re: Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?
    andy.colvin Oracle ACE
    It would be beneficial to know what patch levels you're currently on, and what you're looking to move to.

The patch you mentioned (11.2.2.4.x) does not touch the CRS/ASM binaries. When applying storage server patches, there is no requirement to apply a bundle patch, but it is a "really good practice" to apply the bundle patches in conjunction. Storage server patches can introduce new features that may cause unexpected behavior on older bundle patch releases.

As Dan mentioned, there is no requirement that you take a full system outage for any Exadata patches. Remember that there are positives and negatives on each side of the rolling/non-rolling discussion. If installing cell patches in a rolling fashion, the time needed for the patch will be considerably longer than when installing non-rolling. Also, you are degrading your ASM redundancy for the duration of the patch. However, your cluster will still be up and running. As for installing bundle patches, the preferred method is to install in a rolling fashion, patching one node at a time. You can even perform out of place patching, where you clone your home, apply the patch to it, and move your instances to that new home, thus reducing the downtime of the instance.

Whatever method you choose, make sure to keep it consistent between different systems. If you install non-rolling on dev/test, then do likewise on production.
  • 8. Re: Does an Exadata Storage upgrade to 11.2.2.4 upgrade the CRS/ASM?
    Dan.Norris Employee ACE
    andy.colvin wrote:
    The patch you mentioned (11.2.2.4.x) does not touch the CRS/ASM binaries.
    Just to be clear (I know Andy already knows this), no Exadata software upgrade will ever touch the Grid Infrastructure or RDBMS binaries. The two patches/updates are completely separate. Bundle Patches are installed on GI and RDBMS ORACLE_HOMEs while Exadata software updates are installed on storage cells and include a small component to install on the database servers.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points