1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 11:39 PM by HuaMin Chen RSS

Issue of display

HuaMin Chen
      Hi,
      As I have re-setup OL 5.7 again, and due to the issue of the display of the Chinese, I have finished the below steps all from

http://public-yum.oracle.com/

and have further done this

sudo yum groupinstall "Chinese Support"

but after all these, I still can’t see Chinese within gmail.com.
        • 1. Re: Issue of display
          rukbat
          Hua Min wrote:
          Hi,
          As I have re-setup OL 5.7 again, and due to the issue of the display of the Chinese, I have finished the below steps all from

http://public-yum.oracle.com/

and have further done this

sudo yum groupinstall "Chinese Support"

but after all these, I still can’t see Chinese within gmail.com.
          If you are using your browser to get to Gmail, it would be an issue with how you have configured your browser.

If you are using a dedicated email program to get to Gmail, it would be an issue with youe email program.

I don't think your forum post has anything to do with your OS.
          • 2. Re: Issue of display
            Dude!
            It is generally not necessary to install a specific language support to display non-English languages unless the fonts used are not Unicode. If you need to write in a foreign, non-English language or character set or want to change the System's primary language, then additional software is needed.

Unfortunately the situation to enable Chinese is different, not only because of various "codepages" that exist, but also because Chinese Unicode fonts are not installed by default, uses separate fonts and very specific input methods. I guess it may also be due to historic reasons, based on the Linux origin and development. Installing "sudo yum groupinstall "Chinese Support" is therefore necessary to view Chinese web pages.

The Webpage is usually setting a required code-page, e. g.: UTF-8. You may need to find out what Google requires, but my guess is Unicode. I suggest to verify that your web browser is configured to accept a given codepage and fonts and that you do not have it configured to overwrite the default settings. When installing "Chinese Support" you will need to restart your Web browser for the change to take affect.
            • 3. Re: Issue of display
              Does restart the browser works? If not log out or reboot your system to take the new font effect, if it still fails, run this command to collect more information:

# rpm -qa > /tmp/rpm_out
              • 4. Re: Issue of display
                HuaMin Chen
                Dude,
                Even if I have restarted the OS, I do not see it is resolved. Do you remember last time we resolved the same issue like this. And I have already done the same like what last time we did.
                • 5. Re: Issue of display
                  Dude!
                  Try to isolate the problem:

a) does it work with any other Website
                  b) does the problem persist when you login as another user
                  c) try another browser
                  • 6. Re: Issue of display
                    HuaMin Chen
                    Many thanks.
                    1)     Same issue in other Chinese site.
                    2)     Yes
                    3)     Other than firefox, which browser can I use in OL 5.7?
                    • 7. Re: Issue of display
                      Dude!
                      Strange. What output do you get when you open Firefox and type the following in the URL field:

<pre>about:config</pre>

Then type utf in the filter field.
                      • 8. Re: Issue of display
                        HuaMin Chen
                        Here are all of the items for utf

intl.accept_charsets;iso-8859-1,*,utf-8
                        intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache;UTF-8
                        intl.charsetmenu.browser.static;ISO-8859-1, UTF-8
                        intl.charsetmenu.browser.unicode;UTF-8, UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE, UTF-32, UTF-32LE, UTF-32BE
                        intl.charsetmenu.mailedit;ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-15, ISO-8859-6, armscii-8, geostd8, ISO-8859-13, ISO-8859-14, ISO-8859-2, GB2312, GB18030, Big5, KOI8-R, windows-1251, KOI8-U, ISO-8859-7, ISO-8859-8-I, windows-1255, ISO-2022-JP, EUC-KR, ISO-8859-10, ISO-8859-3, TIS-620, ISO-8859-9, UTF-8, VISCII
                        keyword.URL;http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=
                        network.standard-url.encode-query-utf8;false
                        network.standard-url.encode-utf8;true
                        network.standard-url.escape-utf8;true
                        prefs.converted-to-utf8;false

Edited by: Hua Min on Mar 14, 2012 5:42 PM
                        • 9. Re: Issue of display
                          Dude!
                          Do you see Chinese symbols in the main text when you open:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_language

If you don't, then the installation of "Chinese support" may have not been successful. Try to run "yum groupinstall "Chinese support" and check if there is a problem. The package name is case sensitive.

Other things you might want to verify:

Firefox Edit:Preferences menu under
                          Content:Fonts & Colors: Advanced: Fonts for Traditional Chinese

Firefox View:Character Encoding:Unicode
                          • 10. Re: Issue of display
                            HuaMin Chen
                            Many thanks Dude.
                            Good day,
                            What do you want me to show you for this?
                            Firefox Edit:Preferences menu under
                            Content:Fonts & Colors: Advanced: Fonts for Traditional Chinese

I see that this is already having Unicode (UTF-8) for this
                            Firefox View:Character Encoding:Unicode

At the same time I have redone these

[root@localhost yum.repos.d]# yum install firefox
                            Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
                            This system is not registered with ULN.
                            ULN support will be disabled.
                            Setting up Install Process
                            Package firefox-3.6.18-1.0.1.el5_6.i386 already installed and latest version
                            Nothing to do
                            [root@localhost yum.repos.d]# sudo yum groupinstall "Chinese Support"
                            Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
                            This system is not registered with ULN.
                            ULN support will be disabled.
                            Setting up Group Process
                            Package fonts-chinese-3.02-12.el5.noarch already installed and latest version
                            Package lv-4.51-8.1.i386 already installed and latest version
                            Package stardict-2.4.5-5.i386 already installed and latest version
                            Package scim-pinyin-0.5.91-16.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
                            Package scim-qtimm-0.9.4-5.i386 already installed and latest version
                            Package scim-tables-chinese-0.5.6-7.i386 already installed and latest version
                            Package scim-chewing-0.3.1-11.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
                            Package scim-chinese-standard-0.0.2-1.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
                            Package scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.5-9.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
                            No packages in any requested group available to install or update
                            • 11. Re: Issue of display
                              Dude!
                              I cannot see the reason why it won't work. What do you get when you goto some font test pages like:

http://ctext.org/font-test-page
                              http://ktmatu.com/info/view-and-browse-chinese-web-pages/

To make sure it isn't any setting that's preventing you from seen Chinese symbols, you could try to reset Firefox to installation defaults:
                              \mv $HOME/.mozilla $HOME/mozilla-bck

or delete it if you don't have bookmarks, etc.

\rm -r $HOME/.mozilla
                              • 12. Re: Issue of display
                                HuaMin Chen
                                Many thanks Dude. Is there a way to give you the screenshot from OL 5.7? I will further check your other advice above

Edited by: Hua Min on Mar 19, 2012 2:52 PM
                                • 13. Re: Issue of display
                                  Dude!
                                  The test pages will only verify your installation is working. I trust your judgement that it does nor does not. If it is not, then the screenshot won't help. If it does, then the problem is most likely site specific.
                                  • 14. Re: Issue of display
                                    HuaMin Chen
                                    Good day Dude,
                                    I ran the above command and restarted OL 5.7, but still I can’t see all of the Chinese within
                                    http://ctext.org/font-test-page
                                    1 2 Previous Next