7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 6:08 AM by Billy~Verreynne

Best OS  training

Hi DBAs,

I have comleted oracle OCP certificate two years back and working as an Oracle DBA, Now i would like to learn one OS platform clearly. I have two option *1. Redhad linux 2. SUN Solaris OS*. Please give me your great suggestions, which OS is suitable for me to learn and help me in my carrier growth.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
      Mahendran

Edited by: user10782193 on Mar 10, 2012 8:43 PM
        • 1. Re: Best OS  training
          sb92075
          user10782193 wrote:
          Hi DBAs,

I have comleted oracle OCP certificate two years back and working as an Oracle DBA, Now i would like to learn one OS platform clearly. I have two option *1. Redhad linux 2. SUN Solaris OS*. Please give me your great suggestions, which OS is suitable for me to learn and help me in my carrier growth.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
          Mahendran

Edited by: user10782193 on Mar 10, 2012 8:43 PM
          If you can learn one, you can learn the other.
          Differences are minor; like truss versus strace which do the same.
          • 2. Re: Best OS  training
            rp0428
            >
            1. Redhad linux 2. SUN Solaris OS
            >
            Why did you menton Redhat linus specically?

Have you considered Oracle's Enterprise Linus? It is available for evaluation and study for free and is supported on a wide variety of platforms. There are also pre-canned VM versions availaable.

What specifically do you want to learn and how do you want to use the knowledge? To expand your job opportunities?

IMO there are more flavors of linux and more linux installations that for Solaris. So I think there is a broader need and market for linux expertise. Do a google search for 'Solaris' and for 'Linux' and assess the kinds of hits that you get.

You will also find that there are far more web sites and open software sites available for Linux and more freely available documentation about the OS as well as how to customize it for different purposes.

My vote is for Linux.
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Best OS  training
              Girish Sharma
              Since you are saying that your are working as an Oracle DBA, so which OS is that ? In which you are comfortable with either Redhat or Sun Solaris ? Your comfortableness is top most required thing when we choose the IT options.

Another tip is just read first 5-7 days Redhat and another 5-7 days Sun Solaris. Now compare, which you understood fast, easily and confidently.

Forget about carrier growth. Just think for any but only ONE OS, it is sufficient. If you have expertise in anyone of them, I can bet with anyone, you are having a bright future for sure.

All the Best.

Regards
              Girish Sharma
              • 4. Re: Best OS  training
                Aman....
                Learn any O/S that you want to learn and stick with it. As you mentioned that you are working as a dba than what o/s you are using? As for learning, any flavor of Unix would be good , there won't be much changes in any flavor so either Linux or Solaris would be okay.

Aman....
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Best OS  training
                  Fabricio_Jorge
                  To learn as much as i can on the OS Level, i'm taking the LPI certification, that's focused on gerenal linux environments. I've already taken LPI-101, which is the first part of Level I certification.

After taking level I, i'll start studying Solaris.

You'll learn a lot taking these certificartions.

Edited by: Fabricio_Jorge on 11/03/2012 11:36
                  • 6. Re: Best OS  training
                    Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.

My current environemnt, I am using 3 kinds of OS (Sun Solaris, IBM AIX and Linux).

Now i am plannning to go for Redhat linux training and certification.

Regards,
                    Mahendran
                    • 7. Re: Best OS  training
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      user10782193 wrote:

Linux without a doubt.

It is the most widely used o/s on the Internet. It is the most widely used o/s on mobile devices. It is the most widely used o/s in HPC (high performance computing) clusters. It is the primary o/s for Oracle RDBMS development.

Linux experience and knowledge makes you useful in a larger number of environments. Solaris not.