8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 5:01 AM by cool.br33ze RSS

VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer

cool.br33ze
      Hi

I haven't compiled a tuxedo server on a windows platform for 7 years now so have forgotten how to do it.

I am looking for a guide that details how to set-up VS 2008 so I can use BuildServer to compile tuxedo servers.

I have searched the Oracle site and can't find anything.

Can someone direct me to one please or tell how to do it?

Thanks in advance

M
        • 1. Re: VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer
          Todd Little-Oracle
          Hi,

You need not only the Visual Studio C/C++ compiler installed, you also need the Microsoft Platform SDK installed. Once those are installed, you need to set up the environment variables to use those. Generally this means executing the script vcvars32.bat found in the Visual Studio directories, which is most likely: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat. Once those are done, you should be able to use buildserver and buildclient. Please remember you need to right Tuxedo kit, i.e., there are different Tuxedo kits depending upon which Microsoft compiler version you are using.

Welcome back to developing for Tuxedo!

Regards,
          Todd Little
          Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
          • 2. Re: VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer
            cool.br33ze
            Thanks Todd,

I'm assuming makefiles are still the preferred method of building.

Is there a draft make file available that I could use?

Regards
            • 3. Re: VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer
              Todd Little-Oracle
              Hi,

Well makefiles for now at least. We are about to beta test support in Solaris Studio for Tuxedo applications. This beta starts at the end of the month and might be something you'd be interested in checking out.

Unfortunately I don't know of any draft makefiles around, although they would be very similar to any other makefile but using buildclient/buildserver instead of the cc command. If you need assistance getting a makefile working, let me know.

Regards,
              Todd Little
              • 4. Re: VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer
                cool.br33ze
                Thanks again Todd.

I will be in touch.

M
                • 5. Re: VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer
                  Strange developments Todd,

I was asked here to recompile some tuxedo servers, which were originally built in v9.1 , in v11g.

Just before I was about to get started on this I have just been told that there is no need.

The powers that be have decided to simply take the 32bit v9.1 tuxedo servers (running on Windows 2003 32 bit OS) and run them in a 32bit v11g tux environment but on Windows 2008 R2 64 bit OS.

And if there are any problems with this in testng to then look at recompliling them.

Is this approach valid? Is this something Oracle would recommend doing? If not, why not so I can forward the information on.

Thanks in advance

M
                  • 6. Re: VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer
                    Todd Little-Oracle
                    Hi M,

Oracle would NOT recommend running servers built on previous major releases. In fact our recommendation is that you recompile and relink your servers. If they work, they would likely be unsupported, and I question whether they would work at all given that between major releases data structures may (and do) change, especially in your case going up two major versions.

Regards,
                    Todd Little
                    • 7. Re: VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer
                      Thanks Todd, I suspected as such. I will pass on your response.

Chances are they will not work and we'd end up recompiling them anyway.
                      • 8. Re: VS 2008 BuildClient BuildServer
                        cool.br33ze
                        Apologies for the lateness of this reply Todd
                        We went forward with recompiling the servers and successfully tested them.