This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 9:41 AM by 912595 RSS

Oracle Fail Safe installation problem

mihaelradovan Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have two servers on Microsoft Server 2008 EE with MCSC installed (Microsoft Cluster). There is also shared storage system, dedicated to active node (one server is active, other is pasive). I want to install Fail Safe as fail-over solution, and Oracle Database 11.2 EE, but there is problem.

How to install Oracle database on two servers, where data and control files are stored on shared storage; When server 1 is active, it use control and data files for its database. In moment when server 1 is fallen, Fail Safe redirect control of shared storage to server 2, its instance take control on control and datafiles and move on.

But, I don't know which way is to install database on second node, with control and data files already installed on shared storage. I have read a lot of Oracle Fail Safe documentation, but I still don't know how to do that.

Thanks in advance!
  • 1. Re: Oracle Fail Safe installation problem
    912595 Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    mihaelradovan wrote:
    We have two servers on Microsoft Server 2008 EE with MCSC installed (Microsoft Cluster). There is also shared storage system, dedicated to active node (one server is active, other is pasive). I want to install Fail Safe as fail-over solution, and Oracle Database 11.2 EE, but there is problem.

How to install Oracle database on two servers, where data and control files are stored on shared storage; When server 1 is active, it use control and data files for its database. In moment when server 1 is fallen, Fail Safe redirect control of shared storage to server 2, its instance take control on control and datafiles and move on.

But, I don't know which way is to install database on second node, with control and data files already installed on shared storage. I have read a lot of Oracle Fail Safe documentation, but I still don't know how to do that.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

Following is the process which i followed to install failsafe on two node

1) Install oracle database binaries on node1
    2) Created database on node1, please make sure that datafiles,controlfiles,redofiles,archived files are stored in shared disk
    3) Install oracle database binaries only on node, this will create windows services. Dont create any database here through dbca or installer

copy other files like pfile,orapwd.ora,tnsnames,listener.ora files from node1 to node2. And most importantly keep same locations oracle oracle_home and other directory structre exactly same on node2.
    4) Install faile safe binaries on node1
    5) apply latest patch set
    6) reboot node1
    7) Install fail safe binaries on node2
    8) apply latest patch set
    9) reboot node2

This is how you do it.....
    Your question
    You dont create database on second node but you install only binaries on node2(while install choose "install only" option)

Follow the complete metalink note
    Oracle Fail Safe Step-By-Step Installation and Configuration [ID 74009.1]

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points