This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 8:45 AM by sabre150 RSS

DEs ECB Encryption

Umer Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am trying to encrypt a 16byte key with a 8byte transport key using DES in ECB mode with noPadding. I have searched on the net and found few examples. I am using one of the examles I found. Here, my 16byte key is in Hex format. Now problem is that I want that the ciphered key should also be in hex, but when i tried to output ciphered key is not giving any readable output.
Any guidence please how to get the ciphered key in hex format ?
Here is the sample code:
import java.security.Security;
import javax.crypto.Cipher;
import javax.crypto.spec.SecretKeySpec;

/**
 * Basic symmetric encryption example with padding and ECB using DES
 */
public class MainClass {
  public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
    Security.addProvider(new org.bouncycastle.jce.provider.BouncyCastleProvider());        
    byte[] input = "014B620635F04A24C0D4025E063E506B".getBytes();
    byte[] keyBytes = new byte[] { (byte)0x9A, (byte)0xE1, (byte)0x5E, (byte)0x9E,
                                   (byte)0x32, (byte) 0x4A, (byte) 0xB4, (byte) 0x2A };

SecretKeySpec key = new SecretKeySpec(keyBytes, "DES");
    Cipher cipher = Cipher.getInstance("DES/ECB/NoPadding", "BC");
    System.out.println("input : " + new String(input) +"| Length:"+input.length);

// encryption pass
    cipher.init(Cipher.ENCRYPT_MODE, key);
    byte[] cipherText = new byte[cipher.getOutputSize(input.length)];
    int ctLength = cipher.update(input, 0, input.length, cipherText, 0);
    ctLength += cipher.doFinal(cipherText, ctLength);
    //String strCipherText = new BASE64Encoder().encode(cipherText);
    System.out.println("cipher: " + new String(cipherText, "UTF8")+ " bytes: " + ctLength);

// decryption pass

cipher.init(Cipher.DECRYPT_MODE, key);
    byte[] plainText = new byte[cipher.getOutputSize(ctLength)];
    int ptLength = cipher.update(cipherText, 0, ctLength, plainText, 0);
    ptLength += cipher.doFinal(plainText, ptLength);
    System.out.println("plain : " + new String(plainText) + " bytes: " + ptLength);
  }
}
Kind regards
  • 1. Re: DEs ECB Encryption
    sabre150 Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    Just copying some third party encryption code without understanding it is a recipe for disaster.

1) There is no need to use the BouncyCastle library - everything you need is available from the build-in SunJCE provider.
    2) You need to use a Hex decoder to turn your input into a byte array suitable for encryption. You need to use a Hex encoder to turn your cipherText to a Hex representation. BouncyCastle the encoder and decoder but this will mean you are importing a very large library when all you need is something very small. Google for Jakarta commons codec.
    3) I suggest you purchase David Hook's "Beginning Cryptography with Java" and study it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points