This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 2:09 PM by 925578 RSS

Sun ZFS Virtual Box Appliance - Performance question

Jeff_J Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hope this is the right place to ask this question - apologies if it is not.

We are testing out the Sun ZFS storage using the handy Virtual Box Virtual Appliance.

Now I know this is a VM appliance and as such, we're not going to see anything like real life performance on this thing - but I was wondering if there were any tips someone might share with regards to getting the best performance possible?

We are using the VB appliance to test a lab based OVM setup - and up to now, performance is too dire to even install a simple VM Guest or upload an ISO to a repository.

The host specification is 24GB RAM and 8 cores - all of which we have presented to the ZFS appliance - however doesn't seem to make any difference .

Is performance of the VB appliance throttled?

We have got OK performance out of the HP P4000 VSA (again not great - but OK for lab testing).

Cheers,

Jeff
  • 1. Re: Sun ZFS Virtual Box Appliance - Performance question
    925578 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jeff,

You are correct - the simulator is for testing a subset of functionality only. I am unaware if the VM will use more than one processor, but the RAM will help. One item I can also comment on based on experience is that iSCSI offers the best performance for demos. I use iSCSI as opposed to cifs / nfs / ftp etc. Looking at DTrace, I get much better performance - but I am running a system with only 2 disks, so even that might top out on your server. Perhaps a remote demo with the Oracle Solution Center?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points