1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 12:48 AM by 921987 RSS

Compiling basic C Program

I am a java programmer trying to learn C....any direction would be helpful.

I have a simple C program that references sys/time.h. I am trying to execute some code and profile some timings. I have a declaration

timeval startTime, endTime, interval;
      gettimeofday(&startTime, NULL);
      gettimeofday(&endTime, NULL);
      timersub(&startTime, &endTime, &interval);
      My editor indicated it finds timeval & gettimeofday fine. I ctrl-click on sys/time.h which includes a library bits/time.h which has a struct timeval. I can also ctrl-click directly to timeval and it is found in the editor.

So on to the MakeFile. I used the makefile wizard and was able to get things compiling ok until I added in the time.h libraries, now they all break.

This is my compile command generated by the wizard:
      cc -g -xCC -xopenmp -xloopinfo -lst -c -I/usr/include -I/opt/oracle/solarisstudio12.3/prod/include/cc -I/opt/oracle/solarisstudio12.3/prod/lib/compilers/rtlibs/usr/include -o dist/main.o main.c

and a portion of my output
      "main.c", line 59: undefined symbol: timeval
      "main.c", line 59: syntax error before or at: startTime
      "main.c", line 67: undefined symbol: startTime
      "main.c", line 67: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
           prototype: pointer to struct timeval {long tv_sec, long tv_usec} : "/usr/include/sys/time.h", line 73
           argument : pointer to int
      "main.c", line 73: undefined symbol: endTime

I have messed around with the -I parameters and put them in different order. Where are the libraries supposed to be that I am working with? I found some blog indicating I needed a -lst parameter when working with time.h but doesn't seem to work.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Edited by: nyronian on Mar 15, 2012 10:05 PM
        • 1. Re: Compiling basic C Program
          I finally found that the example I was using was bad. [http://allmybrain.com/2008/06/10/timing-cc-code-on-linux/|http://allmybrain.com/2008/06/10/timing-cc-code-on-linux/]

I had to simply define do:

struct timeval startTime, endTime, interval;

and it all worked.

I couldn't find a way to delete the message or I would have. Thank you for your patience.