1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 5:04 PM by sh.hazeri

Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4

Lucas Jellema
      Hi,

Windows2000, SP4

I have downloaded Oracle 10g Database, Client and Companion CD. I managed to install the Client and to run the Companion installer - which I could not conclude obviously without a 10g Database installed.

However, the installation of the 10g Database itself failed, three steps into the Universal Installer. I have started the OUI, used several settings for Oracle_Home and the target directory, chosen both Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition, but each time the OUI dies after (or at the end of) "Specify installion types" - it simply vanishes. I have downloaded the zip-file again, but with the same result. I have also tried the OUI included with the 10g Client and the 10g Companion, but still the same result. Now warning/error-log etc.

Does anyone has any ideas?

thanks a lot!

Lucas Jellema
        • 1. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
          Hi Lucas,

This Oracle installer is written in Java. Check the Java (at least Java runtime) on your PC it should be 1.4.2 or newer. Java actually has runtime settings in two environments:
          1. DOS. Type in the Windows Command prompt command
          java -version
          and you will see your Java version
          2. Windows. Check in the Windows Registry (run Regedit) the key:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment
          Your Java version is pointed by the value of CurrentVersion

Note. Even if you installed the latest Java these versions can be altered if you install afterwards some other products (for instance Java IDE).

The latest Java (runtime and SDK) can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com and the latest version is 1.4.2_04.

Regards,
          Vladimir.
          • 2. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
            Hi Lucas, try the hint from the release notes

...Disk1/doc/relnotes.101/b10132/toc.htm#CACFEEGD

It said:

10.1 Installation on Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4
            Oracle Universal Installer may appear and then disappear on Windows 2000 with Service pack 4. This is because of an underlying JRE bug. There are three workarounds, depending on what you are installing.

For an Enterprise Manager Grid Control installation, run

install\setup.exe -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

For an Oracle Database installation, run

For a Cluster Ready Services installation, run

-Doracle.installer.formCluster=true

Good luck,
            Jan-Erik
            http://www.jroller.com/page/jejik/Weblog

• 3. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
              Lucas Jellema
              Vladimir and Jan-Erik,

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I have performed the checks you suggest and used the shortcut mentioned in the release notes, but still my installer disappears after loading the installation types.

I would very much welcome other suggestions!

best regards,

Lucas

Note: I did manage to install the 10g Client without any shortcuts or difficulties.
              • 4. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                I have the same problem, on the same configuration.

When the OUI dies, it leaves behind a file in c:\temp\hs_err_pidXXX.log, with this content:

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
                Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) occurred at PC=0x1EEE23CD
                Function=Java_W32LocateSidNative_w32LocateSidHome+0x1AD
                Library=C:\temp\OraInstall2004-03-23_04-39-54PM\SID_Queries.dll

Current Java thread:
                     at W32LocateSidNative.w32LocateSidHome(Native Method)
                     at LocateSid.performQuery(LocateSid.java:46)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiis.OiisCompContext.doQuery(OiisCompContext.java:2520)
                     at Components.oracle.server.v10_1_0_2_0.CompContext.getCalculatedValueObject_s_SIDforASM(Unknown Source)
                     at Components.oracle.server.v10_1_0_2_0.CompContext.getCalculatedValueObject(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiis.OiisCompContext.getCalculatedValue(OiisCompContext.java:655)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiis.OiisVariable.getCalculatedValue(OiisVariable.java:1331)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiis.OiisVariable.setVariable(OiisVariable.java:2162)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiis.OiisCompContext.doOperation(OiisCompContext.java:1106)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbLinearIterator.iterate(OiifbLinearIterator.java:131)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicCompsWizEngine.doOperation(OiicCompsWizEngine.java:198)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbLinearIterator.iterate(OiifbLinearIterator.java:131)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallSession$OiicSelCompsInstall.doOperation(OiicInstallSession.java:3346)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbCondIterator.iterate(OiifbCondIterator.java:162)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicPullSession.doOperation(OiicPullSession.java:916)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicSessionWrapper.doOperation(OiicSessionWrapper.java:230)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.run(OiicInstaller.java:399)
                     at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.runInstaller(OiicInstaller.java:717)
                     at oracle.sysman.oio.oioc.OiocOneClickInstaller.runInstaller(OiocOneClickInstaller.java:1987)
                     at oracle.sysman.oio.oioc.OiocOneClickInstaller.main(OiocOneClickInstaller.java:2201)

Dynamic libraries:
                0x00400000 - 0x00407000      c:\temp\OraInstall2004-03-23_04-39-54PM\jre\1.4.2\bin\javaw.exe
                • 5. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                  Rumburak
                  I have the same problem on Windows 2000 SP 3.

I hadn't the problem with Windows XP. I hope that anybody would find a workaround.

• 6. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                    OK, I found my error, which appears to be a known bug in the Universal Installer.

My computer previously had Oracle9iAS with IFS (CMSDK) installed. As such, in the windows registry, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services I
                    found an service named "OracleServiceIFSCTLSERVICE".

This particular service lacks some information, making the universal installer die. To fix, rename this key in registry to something NOT starting with "Oracle*", e.g. "oldOracleServiceIFSCTLSERVICE", and install. Then rename back.
                    • 7. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                      Axel Niewohner
                      I had the same problem with Windows XP.

Eiriks solution worked fine, thank you
                      • 8. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                        I have the same problem installing the 10g client on a windows 2000 server with sp4 .

I tried the recomended fixes with the short cut but I get an error "failed to load virtual machine"

Is there a fix for the install yet or is there a work around for my situation?

thanks
                        • 9. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                          My Bad

I must have fat fingered the command line for the setup.

It worked as indicated above
                          • 10. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                            Hi,
                            I tried all the combinations/advice etc. mentioned in earlier posts without any luck.
                            More specifically following
                            -installed newer version of java
                            -Ran install\setup.exe -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
                            -no Oracle services running

Same problem on same platform

Any other workaround...
                            Thanks
                            Shafiq
                            • 11. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                              I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Eirik Lygre. Your tip about the OracleServiceIFSCTLSERVICE was exactly my problem.

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comment. It was a tremendous help.
                              • 12. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                                I find out that installing the directX 9.c instead of the default directX 7 allow the Oracle Universal Installer to appear on the screen !

Hope this will help
                                • 13. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                                  For me setup -jreLoc <location> worked perfectly
                                  Replace <> with the path to your JRE
                                  for me was "setup -jreLoc C:\PROGRA~1\Java\jre1.5.0_06"

Unfortunately the solutions posted here didn't work for me.
                                  Hope that this will work for others as well.
                                  • 14. Re: Universal Installer Dies on 10g on Windows 2000 SP4
                                    Thanks, the last tip also helped on windows 2003 64-bit Itanium OS & 10gR2 Client installation.
                                    1 2 Previous Next