2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 1:10 AM by Vadim Tropashko-Oracle RSS

Why does SQL Developer sometimes refuse to activate the debug controls?

user10310266
      I can find the procedure or package that I want to work in, compile it for debug, set break points, provide the required input parameters, and sometimes SQL Developer works as expected. That is, it activates the debug control buttons (step into, step over, etc.) But, other times, it just leaves them greyed out. Why? I find this frustrating.

OK, maybe my version of SQL Developer is a bit old, but I have seen this occasionally in every version of Sql Developer I have used. I now have SQL Developer 2.1.0.63. We have an Oracle11.1.0.7 database. I have a 64-bit Windows7 desktop. I think my Java version is also a bit old, but it seems to be compatible with the EBS R12.0.6 application that I need to support. I'm not a Java expert. If I go to a C:\ prompt, and type: "java -version", It returns: "1.4.2_04".
        • 1. Re: Why does SQL Developer sometimes refuse to activate the debug controls?
          rp0428
          >
          I now have SQL Developer 2.1.0.63.
          >
          Maybe so but why aren't you using the latest 3.x version? There have been many bug fixes and new functionality since the version you are using.
          >
          I think my Java version is also a bit old
          >
          You think? Java 7 is out so version 1.4.2 is definitely old. And especially if you support EBS because I think R12 itself uses Java 1.5

You may want to check the EBS forum
          Java/JRE Version compatabile for R12.0.6

And now you have an Oracle 11.1 database?

Here is the official link that has the jdbc and oracle version support
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-faq-090281.html#02_02

>
          See section - Which JDBC drivers support which versions of Javasoft's JDK?

11.1.0 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.5.x and JDK 1.6.x

Please note that JDK 1.4 is not supported by the 11 drivers.
          >
          Did you notice that last line?

You may want to rethink your plan to use those older versions of Java and SQL Developer.
          • 2. Re: Why does SQL Developer sometimes refuse to activate the debug controls?
            Vadim Tropashko-Oracle
            There are couple limitations I can think of:

i. If you are debugging one procedure, you can't start debugging another one in parallel
            ii. When the active PL/SQL editor is file-based (as opposed to compilation unit stored in the database) and you didn't select connection in the right hand side connection combo-box.