1 2 3 4 Previous Next 58 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 4:18 AM by gimbal2 Go to original post RSS
      • 45. Re: Datagram degradation
        EJP
        Nah, just stuck in the age of analogue sound.
        • 46. Re: Datagram degradation
          Or is the truth of this that you just don't know what a codec is?
          There is a lot more that I don't know. Can you explain why I need one please? Do I have to write it myself?
          • 47. Re: Datagram degradation
            You guys . . . are so heartless, it's heartwarming! ;)
            • 48. Re: Datagram degradation
              gimbal2
              895583 wrote:
              You guys . . . are so heartless, it's heartwarming! ;)
              Explain yourself. We bust our butts trying to even get the laziest of the lazy on the right path and often we have to deal with incredible amounts of abuse at the same time because people don't get the answers they want. Believe me, the amount of idiocy that floods over this forum is staggering; I fear for the next generation of developers, they'll not be able to function at all unless a computer feeds instructions into them in stead of the other way around. But yet we muster on, brave soldiers that we are...

Actually I think that the forum regulars, including myself, are the stupid ones. Someone remind me again why we do this?
              • 49. Re: Datagram degradation
                gimbal2 wrote:
                Someone remind me again why we do this?
                Glory. Honor. Donuts.
                • 50. Re: Datagram degradation
                  gimbal2
                  jverd wrote:
                  gimbal2 wrote:
                  Donuts.
                  Win.
                  • 51. Re: Datagram degradation
                    I would like to join the donut group too, one day. (Although I think I'd be under an obligation to join the doughnut group, since I am an Englishman). Alterntively, I could sign-up to the donuttin' group, where a lot of people just sit around and do nuttin.

Perhaps until then, I can just be the hole in the middle . . .? Would that be ok ?
                    • 52. Re: Datagram degradation
                      DrClap
                      jverd wrote:
                      gimbal2 wrote:
                      Glory. Honor. Donuts.
                      Wait... donuts? Why haven't I been getting any? Oh, I know. There must be a Canada Customs warehouse full of the things by now.
                      • 53. Re: Datagram degradation
                        EJP
                        Can you explain why I need one please?
                        I did. Voice doesn't come in bytes, it comes in analogue sound waves. Somebody has to encode it into byte arrays that can be sent in datagrams, and somebody at the other end has to decode those into sound. That's what a codec does. Maybe you're just the middle man and some other component is providing those services. But don't tell me a VoIP system doesn't have a codec. It does.
                        Donuts
                        Where are all mine?

I did get a box of goodies once. . but no donuts :-(

I think it's a conspiracy.
                        • 54. Re: Datagram degradation
                          Voice doesn't come in bytes
                          But it does. You often hear TV and radio newsreaders mentioning politicians (particularly) who speak in sound bytes. As I understand things, TV and radio are both digital and analogue media, and they do not seem to use codecs for sending their signals; I am basing my programme on the same approach.
                          • 55. Re: Datagram degradation
                            895583 wrote:
                            Voice doesn't come in bytes
                            But it does. You often hear TV and radio newsreaders mentioning politicians (particularly) who speak in sound bytes. As I understand things, TV and radio are both digital and analogue media, and they do not seem to use codecs for sending their signals; I am basing my programme on the same approach.
                            I can't tell if that's an attempt at humor, an attempt an trolling, or if you're just genuinely that confused. Regardless, it only serves to derail the discussion and make it less likely you'll end up with a satisfactory solution.
                            • 56. Re: Datagram degradation
                              By the powers invested in me, I hereby declare this question a complete waste of time, and am closing it.

You can't tell me that James Addison Baker III never had a doughnut in his life. We all need doughnuts, even if only to laugh at, not eat. The world runs on doughnuts, and we're gonna have to get used to it as the petrol runs out. Hup, two, three, four, hup. . .
                              • 57. Re: Datagram degradation
                                EJP
                                The thread was been a complete waste of time ever since the question was answered in the first reply, six days ago. Everything since has just consisted of increasingly futile attempts to drive the point home.
                                • 58. Re: Datagram degradation
                                  gimbal2
                                  EJP wrote:
                                  The thread was been a complete waste of time ever since the question was answered in the first reply, six days ago. Everything since has just consisted of increasingly futile attempts to drive the point home.
                                  Well it was amusing at least. Its always fun to see people come here for help and then categorically refuse any kind of help or guidance given to them. Such a conundrum!
                                  1 2 3 4 Previous Next