7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 6:58 AM by 926958 RSS

Installation of Enterprise Manager 12c fails on Solaris 10u9 X86

muli033
      Hello,

during installation of Enterprise Manager 12c the OMS Configuration fails.
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:About to execute plug-in OMS Configuration
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:The plug-in OMS Configuration is running
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:Internal PlugIn Class: oracle.sysman.oms.OMSConfiguration
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:Classpath = /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/sysman/jlib/omsConfig.jar:
      /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/../modules/com.bea.core.apache.log4j_1.2.13.jar:
      /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/jlib/emConfigInstall.jar:/oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/sysman/jlib/emagentSDK.jar:
      /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/jdbc/lib/ojdbc5.jar:/oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/jdbc/lib/ojdbc14dms.jar:/oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/jlib/rcu.jar:
      /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/jlib/rcucommon.jar:/oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/sysman/jlib/emCORE.jar:
      /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/sysman/jlib/emcore_client.jar:/oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/../oracle_common/modules/oracle.odl_11.1.1/dms.jar:
      /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/../oracle_common/modules/oracle.odl_11.1.1/ojdl.jar:/oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/lib/xmlparserv2.jar:
      /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/sysman/jlib/com.bea.core.apache.log4j_1.2.13.jar:/oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/sysman/jlib/emCoreSDKImpl.jar
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:BaseConfiguration:invoke:Starting BaseConfiguration  invoke method on an aggregate=oracle.sysman.top.oms for Action=configuration in step=5:microstep=0
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:Fetcing ports from teh static ports file: /oracle/product/em12c_3/.gcinstall_temp/staticports.ini
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:COMMAND: /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/bin/omsca NEW -RESPONSE_FILE /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/omscarespfile -lock_console -lock_upload -CONFIGURE_REPEATER true -nostart
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:
       Check the OMS Configuration Assistant logs at: /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/cfgtoollogs/omsca

INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:Could not create the Java virtual machine.
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:Error occurred during initialization of VM
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:Could not reserve enough space for object heap
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:
       Check the OMS Configuration Assistant logs at: /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/cfgtoollogs/omsca

INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:The plug-in OMS Configuration has failed its perform method
      I can't find the logs mentioned (/oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/cfgtoollogs/omsca). There is no directory under cfgtoollog named omsca. The only logs I can find are in /oracle/product/em12c_3/oms/cfgtoollogs/cfgfw and simply display the same information already posted.

Strange thing about this: Installation did work when the Server only had 8Gb of RAM. Due to poor performance we decided to increase RAM to 20Gb and do a fresh install (OS, DB and EM). So I guess this problem is related to memory configuration (perhaps in /etc/system or ulimit issue) as already mentioned in the logs
      INFO: oracle.sysman.top.oms:Error occurred during initialization of VM
      Following are parameters changed in /etc/system
      set max_nprocs = 30000
      set maxuprc = 16384

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
      set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
      set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
      set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=256
      ulimit -a gives the following output (as the oracle user)
      oracle@xyz: ulimit -a
      time(seconds)        unlimited
      file(blocks)             unlimited
      data(kbytes)          unlimited
      stack(kbytes)         32768
      coredump(blocks)   unlimited
      nofiles(descriptors)  65536
      vmemory(kbytes)    unlimited
      Swapspace also looks good to me:
      oracle@xyz: swap -l
      swapfile             dev  swaplo blocks   free
      /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1   30,129      8 34828912 34828912
      Hope somebody can help with this problem.
        • 1. Re: Installation of Enterprise Manager 12c fails on Solaris 10u9 X86
          Akanksha Sheoran Kaler-Oracle
          Can you make sure ethat your h Oracle WebLogic Server JVM Heap Size is 1GB or more ..

Also, you mentioned that you had done the install earilier with less meemeory . If you are doing em install on same vm them did you made sure that older EM was cleaned up or recreated the vm again?
          • 2. Re: Installation of Enterprise Manager 12c fails on Solaris 10u9 X86
            muli033
            Hi Akanksha,

thanks for your reply.

The error already arises when installing OEM12C. Is there a way to look up the amount of Heap size available to WebLogic Server?

This is no VM but an IBM X86 Server.

Regards,
            muli
            • 3. Re: Installation of Enterprise Manager 12c fails on Solaris 10u9 X86
              Loc Nhan -Oracle
              Hi Muli,

You can look at file <Middleware Home>/user_projects/domains/GCDomain/servers/EMGC_OMS1/logs/EMGC_OMS1.out to find out the heap size setting for the OMS application. At the top of the file, you should see a value for the -Xmx option (for setting heap size) in the line starting with:

JAVA Memory arguments: -Xms256m -Xmx<value>m

Note: for a 32-bit OS, keep the heap size around 1.7 GB or under.

Also, I would use a tool like vmstat to check for free memory.

By the way, can you tell us for what platform (OS) did you download the software for this EM12c installation?

Regards,
              - Loc
              • 4. Re: Installation of Enterprise Manager 12c fails on Solaris 10u9 X86
                muli033
                Hi Loc,

I'm sorry but a file named EMGC_OMS1.out can not be found on that system. I wonder whether WebLogic is already installed at this moment, because I can't even find a process with "ps -ef" only the installer processes (runInstaller).

Taking a 5 second snapshot with vmstat looks as follows
                oracle@xyz: vmstat 1 5
                 kthr      memory            page            disk          faults      cpu
                 r b w   swap  free  re  mf pi po fr de sr s1 s2 s3 --   in   sy   cs us sy id
                 0 0 0 30853060 14197576 52 237 41 21 21 0 2 -0 0 15 0  783 1271  555  3  3 94
                 0 0 0 28940708 12461472 11 48 0 0 0  0  0  0  0 38  0  694  689  490  2  4 95
                 0 0 0 28940628 12461436 0 0 0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  702  549  454  0  2 98
                 0 0 0 28940628 12461436 0 0 0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  659  476  408  2  2 96
                 0 0 0 28940628 12461436 0 0 0  0  0  0  0  0  0  2  0  675  553  437  1  5 94
                This also looks good to me (about 12Gb free RAM)

I'm using Solaris 10 Update 9 for X86 64 Bit installation which is supported regarding the Oracle certification matrix.

Hope anybody can help.

Regards,
                Muli
                • 5. Re: Installation of Enterprise Manager 12c fails on Solaris 10u9 X86
                  Loc Nhan -Oracle
                  Hi Muli,

You can issue command "ps -ef|grep EMGC_ADMINSERVER" to double-check if the Admin server is running.

The log files entries included your initial message show that your Middleware home is /oracle/product/em12c_3. Do you have more than 1 Middleware homes on this server (e.g. you have installed EM more than once)? If you have a previous installation of EM 12c on this box, I would check to make sure that no process from that installation is running (check for java and opmn processes). Also make sure that file/etc/oragchomelist only contains entries for appropriate agent and OMS homes.

Anyway, Support should be able to help resolve this issue quickly through a web conference, please consider log an SR with them.

Regards,
                  - Loc
                  • 6. Re: Installation of Enterprise Manager 12c fails on Solaris 10u9 X86
                    muli033
                    Hi Loc,

thanks again for your reply.

There is only one installation of enterprise manager on this system (ok, naming was a little confusing there I guess ;-) )

No other java-processes running on this machine. I guess next step is opening a SR.

Regards,
                    muli
                    • 7. Re: Installation of Enterprise Manager 12c fails on Solaris 10u9 X86
                      Try adding/edit the following for your /etc/system file: "This will allocate memory to oracle for use while satisfying EM12c pre-checks"

set rlim_fd_max=65536
                      set rlim_fd_cur=65536
                      set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=17179869184 (17GB) - This number repersents the amount of RAM you would like to allocate to the software
                      set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
                      set shmsys:seminfo_semmni=100
                      set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=256

Try adding/edit the following for your /etc/project file: "This will allocate memory to oracle for use"

default:3::oracle:oinstall:project.max-file-descriptor=(privileged,65536,deny);project.max-sem-ids=(privileged,100,deny);project.max-sem-nsems=(privileged,256,deny);project.max-shm-ids=(privileged,100,deny);project.max-shm-memory=(privileged,17179869184,deny)