This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 5:35 AM by Pascal Kreyer - Oracle RSS

How to install from a Solaris 8 install .iso?

janpla Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I want to try to install Solaris 8 in an LDOM. I know that it is "not supported" - but it may be possible, according to some discussions I have had, so I want to try.

Unfortunately, when I try the naive approach and add the iso image of the CD as a virtual disk to the domain and try to boot from it, it tells me the file isn't executable. The explanation, it seems, is that the CD actually contains several slices, and only the first one is visible when you look at it as an iso file. So, I guess my question is: Is it actually possible to get to a point where I can try to install from this CD image into an LDOM?
  • 1. Re: How to install from a Solaris 8 install .iso?
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    I would be interested in how an LDOM could run Solaris 8. You are getting that error message because the T-series chipset boot file is not present on the Solaris 8 media.
  • 2. Re: How to install from a Solaris 8 install .iso?
    janpla Newbie
    So would I :-)

The truth is, I have no idea if it is possible, but I think it is worth trying. We have to keep Solaris around for some time yet, since we support our products on this platform, and the machine it runs on is the size of a small fridge, compared to the slightly-more-than-a-smartphone size of this latest Sun T4 server. Just imagine how many more T4 servers we could put in there if this project succeeds (this is a gently hint to those at Sun/Oracle who know how to get this to work).
  • 3. Re: How to install from a Solaris 8 install .iso?
    Alan_S Explorer
    Why must you stay with Solaris 8, which is a very old OS version? Have you tried running your applications on Solaris 10, or even Solaris 11?

-- Alan
  • 4. Re: How to install from a Solaris 8 install .iso?
    abrante Pro
    Well, if it was supported you would be able to ;)

The thing with the SPARC installation CD's is that they are indeed sliced, i think the reason for it to be sliced is that different slices supports different CPU architectures, so that slice 2 (or slice :b when you boot it from an OK prompt) was originally, long time ago, used for the sun4c CPU's, slice 3 (or :c) was used for sun4m and slice 4 (:d) was used for sun4d.

Then came sun4u which used slice 5/:e

Then slice 0 would contain a HSFS filesystem which actually contained the packages and the installation program.

You can get the vtoc with dd, and then extract the slices you want with dd and access them using LOFS. But yet again this is probably futile. I don't think there is a single chip in the T4 hardware which is supported with Solaris 8.

Given how powerful the T4 seems, and how ineffective Solaris 8 could sometimes be at utilizing resources, it would also seem like a waste..

Have you had a look at native zones? that way you can run Solaris 8 / 9 in zones under Solaris 10..

.7/M.
  • 5. Re: How to install from a Solaris 8 install .iso?
    janpla Newbie
    Hi - sorry I haven't checked replies for a long while.

The reason we have to run Solaris 8 is that we still have customers that require support on that version. We develop software for many versions of UNIX and have to be able to demonstrate that it actually runs on a large number of architectures; we do also support Solaris 10 and 11, of course.
  • 6. Re: How to install from a Solaris 8 install .iso?
    Pascal Kreyer - Oracle Expert
    The only way to "run" Solaris 8 on your actual T and M-series machines is to use a Solaris 8 branding zone in Solaris 10.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points