6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 4:03 PM by 962879

Query on Position Hierarchy

Mahendra
      Hi,

How can we change top position in position hierarchy?
      It's grayed out..we need to change the top position holder

Also we observed as when we query all the position hierarchies we see the same position name and holder at the top

Please Advise

Mahendra
        • 1. Re: Query on Position Hierarchy
          Prakash Kumar
          Hi Mahendra,

Do you mean removing the top position? If yes, then you have to remove sub-ordinate positions first, and also you have to remove these sub-ordinate positions from employee records. So it's as good as deleting the hierarchy itself if you have to remove the top position.

To search a position in position hierarchy form you have to query/find the correct position. If I am correct, Oracle just defaults the top position of the hierarchy to give you the option of drilling down.

Thanks & Regards
          Prakash Kumar
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Query on Position Hierarchy
            Mahendra
            Prakash Kumar wrote:
            Hi Mahendra,

Do you mean removing the top position? If yes, then you have to remove sub-ordinate positions first, and also you have to remove these sub-ordinate positions from employee records. So it's as good as deleting the hierarchy itself if you have to remove the top position.

To search a position in position hierarchy form you have to query/find the correct position. If I am correct, Oracle just defaults the top position of the hierarchy to give you the option of drilling down.

Thanks & Regards
            Prakash Kumar
            Thanks Prakash

In my client system there are around 15 odd hierarchies..my question is why am i seeing only same person as top position holder in all hierarchies...

when i try to create new hierarchy...it always throws me save your work before you can continue...how can i select top position here..i have just given the name of the hierarchy...

Mahendra
            • 3. Re: Query on Position Hierarchy
              Prakash Kumar
              Hi Mahendra,

For that first check that in all those position hierarchies, what is the top position. Once you get that, pleas let me know whether they are same or they are different. If they are same, it answers your query.

While creating a new hierarchy, you need to define the hierarchy first and then save it. Then go to the lower block and select the top position (whatever you have got from the client) and save. Then you will get the option of going down with "Down Arrow" type key. There you have to select the sub-ordinate position and save. Like this you have define/attach all the position till the lowest of the hierarchy.

There is another option of copying (and applying) the existing hierarchy to the new position hierarchy defined by you and then it can be modified as per your need.

Thanks & Regards
              Prakash Kumar
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Query on Position Hierarchy
                Mahendra
                Prakash Kumar wrote:
                Hi Mahendra,

For that first check that in all those position hierarchies, what is the top position. Once you get that, pleas let me know whether they are same or they are different. If they are same, it answers your query.

While creating a new hierarchy, you need to define the hierarchy first and then save it. Then go to the lower block and select the top position (whatever you have got from the client) and save. Then you will get the option of going down with "Down Arrow" type key. There you have to select the sub-ordinate position and save. Like this you have define/attach all the position till the lowest of the hierarchy.

There is another option of copying (and applying) the existing hierarchy to the new position hierarchy defined by you and then it can be modified as per your need.

Thanks & Regards
                Prakash Kumar
                Thanks Prakash

I am seeing same holder in all hierarchies..Now this is holder i need to change...as he is no longer with the client..
                I have done the same way as you said...

First say i created one postion hierarchy name in postion hierarchy...and just save it...closed it..
                when i reopen or query the new position hierarchy...i see the same top position which i told you earlier is been defaulted...don't know from where purchasing is pulling it..hope you got my issue now...

Now how and where it is been defaulted as the top position...
                only way is to end date that postion??

Thanks
                Mahendra
                • 5. Re: Query on Position Hierarchy
                  Prakash Kumar
                  Hi Mahendra,

Do you want to remove the Person (Holder) or position itself? If it's person then open HRMS>>Enter and Maintain
                  Search the employee, click on assignment and remove the position. The person (holder) will be gone. And if you don't have HRMS, then Purchasing>>Setup>>Personnel>>Employees. Search the employee, click on more and in assignment tab remove the position.

Keep in mind that, it's rare that client wants to end/delete their top position. So as I understood most probably you have to remove the person not the position. But is it is position in your case then you have to read my earlier post and delete the position accordingly from the hierarchy. Then you have to end date the position. But the problem is, all the hierarchies have the same top position so you have to do the same activity again and again for all the hierarchies.

The other thing you can do is create a new hierarchy with different top positions and end date the older ones.

Thanks & Regards
                  Prakash Kumar

Edited by: Prakash Kumar on Mar 27, 2012 6:15 PM

Edited by: The information above is basically for 11i.
                  • 6. Re: Query on Position Hierarchy
                    Hi,

This thread came up in a Google search, hope you don't mind me asking a question. I will use an example to ask it.

First set up a hierarchy for use in approving PO's. Hierarchy 1.Top position is A, then B reports to A, then lets say a number of C1-Cn positions report to B. Define this hierarchy run the Fill Employee Hierarchy process and use this hierarchy as the default for PO documents.

Second set up a separate hierarchy for approving requisitions. Hierarchy 2. All the positions and people in this one are different than in Hierarchy 1. Top is position X, Y reports to X, Z1-Zn reports to Y. Save. run the Fill Employee Hierarchy process and use this hierarchy as the default for requisitions.

Re-query Hierarchy 2in the form, and position A is the top. No subordinates. If I add position X as reporting to A, then the previously entered Hierarchy 2 all defaults showing the right number of subordinates rolling up to X. But the question is why does the form want to have position A and only position A be at the top of all hierarchies? It looks like a bug to me but first wanted to see if I was possibly doing something wrong.

thanks,
                    Gregg