This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 2:54 PM by Simon Haslam RSS

Kernel Headers for UEK2?

hans forbrich Oracle ACE Director
Currently Being Moderated
Just installed Oracle Linux 5u8 from a fresh download. It runs 2.6.32-300.10.1.el5uek

Since I want to create a sandbox in VMWare, (next step will be VirtualBox, but ... one shift at a time!) I'd like to enable VMTools.

Unfortunately the public YUM seems to only know about 2.6.32-300.11.1.el5uel and the VMTools compile croaks.

Is it possible to get the 2.6.32-300.10.1.el5uek headers? (Or do I need to play with my yum repo settings?)

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Kernel Headers for UEK2?
    Avi Miller Guru
    Hans Forbrich wrote:
    Is it possible to get the 2.6.32-300.10.1.el5uek headers? (Or do I need to play with my yum repo settings?)
    The kernel-uek-headers are in the _addons repository -- but the standard kernel-headers should be fine. In fact, VMware Tools shouldn't need the headers anyway, but rather kernel-uek-devel (like what we use for VirtualBox's Guest Additions).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 2. Re: Kernel Headers for UEK2?
    Dude! Guru
    VMware Tools and Oracle Linux Howto
  • 3. Re: Kernel Headers for UEK2?
    Dude wrote:
    Thanks to both for your responses.

Dude: That is exactly what I was referencing when I ran into the kernel header challenge in the first place. (And thanks for posting that - very helpful!) Note that I am using 5u8, not 5u7 - although that shouldn't make a big difference.

I am using the VMWare Fusion 3, not 4 yet (want to switch to VirtualBox if possible) which accounts for minor differences in finding the line in vmware-config-tools.pl

However, "yum -y install kernel-uek-headers-`uname -r`" FAILS because the headers in the addons are at a slightly different version than the 5u8 UEL2 kernel. Headers are ... 11.1 and kernel is 10.1. (2.6.32-300.10.1.el5uek)

As a fallback, I ran "yum -y install kernel-uek-headers" which results in loading the 11.1 header and running vmware-config-tools.pl ends up failing with symptoms different from when the --builtins mod is missed. (unfortunately not captured - will try to reproduce tonight.)

I could easily have mistyped something in the vmware-config-tools.pl mod, but the header version mismatch is the thing that popped out first, so I went down that path first. One other thing I need to go back and check - whether I did correctly install kernel-uek-devel.
  • 4. Re: Kernel Headers for UEK2?
    Dude! Guru
    I can provide some update:

Installing the VMware tools 8.8.1 (VMware Fusion 4.1.1) under the Oracle UEK kernel requires:

- gcc
    - kernel-uek-devel
    - kernel-uek-headers

Failure to install "kernel-uek-headers-`uname -r" results in the following error message:

Searching for a valid kernel header path...
    The path "" is not a valid path to the 2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek kernel headers.
    Would you like to change it? [yes]
    Enter the path to the kernel header files for the 2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek

Under 2.6.39-100.5.1 (UEK2) the "kernel-uek-headers" package is not available and not needed anymore:

Searching for a valid kernel header path...
    Detected the kernel headers at
    "/lib/modules/2.6.39-100.5.1.el5uek/build/include".
    The path "/lib/modules/2.6.39-100.5.1.el5uek/build/include" appears to be a
    valid path to the 2.6.39-100.5.1.el5uek kernel headers.

You still need to modify bin/vmware-config-tools.pl as outlined in the instructions using the "sed" command.
  • 5. Re: Kernel Headers for UEK2?
    Many thanks. That should be sufficient for me to crank on this tonight.
  • 6. Re: Kernel Headers for UEK2?
    Dude! Guru
    I have also finished updating the Howto accordingly.
  • 7. Re: Kernel Headers for UEK2?
    Dude wrote:
    I have also finished updating the Howto accordingly.
    Excellent. Thanks for that post and for keeping it up to date.
  • 8. Re: Kernel Headers for UEK2?
    Simon Haslam Oracle ACE Director
    Just a little update in case anyone's trying to install VMware tools on ESXi 5 and OL 6.4... (and as the other discussion is locked)

As Dude and Hans say, you need to have gcc and kernel-uek-devel packages installed, however you no longer need to change the vmware-config-tools.pl file (I assume this has changed in ESXi 5 - IIRC Workstation 8 still had the issue last time I tried, but I don't know about 9). I've just run vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl with default options without any problem.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points