1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 2:39 PM by gdarling - oracle RSS

11g R2 Custom Installation

user428531
      I have been asked to install and test Oracle 11g ODBC driver to connect to 11g DB for a legacy application and I'm trying to have a minimized installed. I am new to Oracle FYI. I am using Windows 7.

If I select Custom Installation Type and select 'Oracle ODBC Driver' only, do I need any other components to test this connection from .Net or Toad?

I have seen an Instant Client with ODBC installer but I am not sure which direction to go.
        • 1. Re: 11g R2 Custom Installation
          gdarling - oracle
          Hi,

If you do a Custom installation and select ONLY the ODBC driver, it will also install the dependencies (ie, Oracle client) along with that, which will give you all the pieces you need to connect to a remote Oracle database. You'll need to create a tnsnames.ora file manually (or copy one) though if you're going to use tnsnames.

I'd recommend though, if you go that route, to also install sqplus at the same time, as then you'll have a way to confirm client connectivity outside of ODBC.

Instant client would also work, and be much smaller, but it's a little trickier as far as the setup goes.. nothing drastic, but going the OUI route instead it will pretty much "just work" after the OUI finishes. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-097480.html

Hope it helps,
          correction/comments welcome.

Greg