4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 11:52 AM by RogerP RSS

300Gb SAS disk support for Sun Fire V445

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if 300Gb 10K SAS disks are compatible and supported by Oracle for Sun Fire V445's? The disks I have in mind are Sun FRU PN: 540-7869-01.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
      Richard
        • 1. Re: 300Gb SAS disk support for Sun Fire V445
          Pascal Kreyer-Oracle
          Only 73 and 146 GB disks are supported.
          • 2. Re: 300Gb SAS disk support for Sun Fire V445
            Confirmed what I didn't want to hear. Thanks very much for the response.
            • 3. Re: 300Gb SAS disk support for Sun Fire V445
              If the system is a production box that has service contract coverage, then you stay with the officially qualified disk size, else Technical Support will not take care of you under the terms of that service contract.

If the system no longer has contract coverage then you have become your own "Technical Support". It's your property and you decide what to install to it, because you are the one that will need to resolve any issues that might arise.
              • 4. Re: 300Gb SAS disk support for Sun Fire V445
                RogerP
                Thanks for your post.

I am finding Oracle's approach to hardware very frustrating. Their ultra conservative approach seems to be motivated by a desire to driving customers to newer, more expensive systems. Can't fit you data on 16 300GB SAS drives in a x4250 that cost $20K - why you can buy a new pillar system for $121,000! Never mind one aught to be able to use 1TB drives.

And the cost of SUN's drives! I mean its not like they actually make them. No, they take Seagate drives, put them in a fancy bracket and charge 10x more!

I am really wondering how much longer I will stay with Oracle! I mean my PC can hold more data than my x4250 that cost 15x more! And Linux may soon have the ZFS capability. So why Oracle?