1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 2:01 PM by sb92075 RSS

PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops

928040 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
  • 1. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    rp0428 Guru
    Welcome to the forum!
    When posting questions always provide your 4 digit Oracle version (results of SELECT * FROM V$VERSION).
    >
    INSERT INTO TABLE(SELECT QUOTES FROM Actor_Quotes WHERE row.ActorID = ActorID)
    >
    What table do you think that is trying to insert into? That is invalid syntax.
    I already answered this question - See my reply Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:08 PM at
    Re: SQL PROCEDURE CURSOR LOOPS
    Maybe the two of you were classmates and didn't know it.
  • 2. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    928040 Newbie
    Ah yes! that question is very simular and one that I have managed to do, but the difference between that question and this one is this one uses a single parameter and should actually populate the data requested.

Refering to that insert statement you aksed about I am trying to get it to insert the the select statement that is directly below that insert statement into the nested table.

Sorry about my poor explanation but PL/SQL is really not my strong point but I am ready to learn

Oracle version is: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0

Edited by: 925037 on 02-Apr-2012 15:12
  • 3. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    sb92075 Guru
    http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/549347/136107/#msg_549347
  • 4. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    928040 Newbie
    @sb92075 Iv managed to do the one in that link but this one needs to actually populate the nested table with data using a single parameter where as the one in the link required no parameters.

The problem I am having is getting the PL/SQL to work with a single parameter and to actually populate the nested table with data
  • 5. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    928040 Newbie
    Does anyone have any idea as to what I am doing wrong?
  • 6. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    rp0428 Guru
    Only what I already told you. You haven't specified the table that you want to insert into. An insert statement is of the form
    INSERT INTO myTable (colA, colB, . . .) VALUES (1, 'cheese', . . .)
    or
    INSERT INTO myTable (colA, colB, . . .) SELECT (. . .) FROM otherTable
    Here is an example of an insert into a nested table
    http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/NESTED_TABLE
  • 7. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    928040 Newbie
    Ok thanks for the link and examples. I understand those INSERT statements but mine seems alot harder than those in the examples.

This query achieves what I want:
    SELECT Actor.ActorID, Movie.title, Movie.year, Role.roleName, Quote.quoteCHAR FROM Actor, Movie, Role, Quote, RoleQuote
    WHERE Actor.actorID = Role.actorID AND Movie.movieID = Role.movieID AND Role.roleID = RoleQuote.roleID AND Quote.quoteID = RoleQuote.quoteID;

But I need to put this SELECT statement into the nested table within the PL/SQL statement, an insert for this is causing me a head ache to say the least!

Do you have any ideas?
  • 8. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    928040 Newbie
  • 9. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    But I need to put this SELECT statement into the nested table within the PL/SQL statement, an insert for this is causing me a head ache to say the least!

Do you have any ideas?
    >
    Not if you are unwilling to read through the example I provided of how to insert into a nested table.
    Good luck.
  • 10. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    sb92075 Guru
    925037 wrote:
    Ok thanks for the link and examples. I understand those INSERT statements but mine seems alot harder than those in the examples.

This query achieves what I want:
    SELECT Actor.ActorID, Movie.title, Movie.year, Role.roleName, Quote.quoteCHAR FROM Actor, Movie, Role, Quote, RoleQuote
    WHERE Actor.actorID = Role.actorID AND Movie.movieID = Role.movieID AND Role.roleID = RoleQuote.roleID AND Quote.quoteID = RoleQuote.quoteID;

Do you have any ideas?
    data & tables should be Normalized & not contain duplicated data.
    Forget about the Nested Table & just CREATE VIEW that contains the desired columns.

If/When NESTED table exists how do you keep it current when rows it the other tables change?
  • 11. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    928040 Newbie
  • 12. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    928040 Newbie
    Yes your right but I have to do it this way as it has been given to me as an assignment. Im afraid I have no choice but to do it using a nested table within a PL/SQL statement no matter what problems it may cause.
  • 13. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    cant find documentation on anything that complex
    >
    The documentation is in your own question
    You don't see any resemblence between the above and the below?
    ACTOR_QUOTE_TYPE('Spiderman', '2000', 'Peter Parker', 'I can fly'))); 
    Such as
    SELECT Actor.ActorID, ACTOR_QUOTE_TYPE(Movie,title, . . .) FROM . . .
  • 14. Re: PL/SQL Procedure using cursor loops
    928040 Newbie
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points