This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 11:17 AM by 928565 RSS

Best way to update a PRA file with changes to P6 schedule?

928565 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I've spent some time looking at user manuals and video tutorials to try and become familiar with how to use Primavera Risk Analysis. I come from an @RISK user background so there were some concepts that were a little different between the two applications.

One thing of particular interest to my company is how to use PRA with a constantly evolving and updating P6 project schedule? I know there are ways to import/export user defined fields to store the min/most likely/max values for each task. I also know that the risk register can be imported/exported from Excel. My concern can perhaps be demonstrated by this example (based on my current understanding of PRA and P6)

1. Start PRA and import a copy of a P6 schedule. This is not a "live" link but rather a copy made for use with PRA.
2. Set-up the risk register, link to project tasks. Set-up activity min/most likely/max, assign to a distribution (triangle)
3. Run Monte Carlo simulations, review results etc.
4. At this point I could export the min/most likely/max durations back to P6 as user defined fields and I could update the duration in P6 with the most likely. I'm not sure what would happen with risk activities that created new project activities but I assume they would import as new tasks to P6?

After going through steps 1-4, the P6 schedule might continue to evolve further with new tasks, new dependencies, new durations, etc. At some point, I may be asked again to perform another risk analysis on the project and here is where my question comes in: Do I have to start all over and import everything into a new PRA? I know that I could get the min/max most likely from P6 user defined fields, I know I could import the risk register from Excel but are there other things that I would lose by having to start over (for example, links between risks in the risk register and the tasks in the P6 schedule?) Or... is there a way to re-use an existing PRA file and update the P6 schedule while preserving the info (like risk register, etc.)?

Thank you for your reply

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points