This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 3:36 AM by PhHein RSS

Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder

857529 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
The JavaFX Scene Builder Developer Preview was announced earlier this week during the JavaOne Japan keynote session.

JavaFX Scene Builder is a visual layout tool that lets users quickly design JavaFX application user interfaces, without coding. Users can drag
and drop UI components to a work area, modify their properties, apply style sheets, and the FXML code for the layout that they are creating is automatically generated in the background. The result is an FXML file that can then be combined with a Java project by binding the UI to the application’s logic.

Please use this thread to give us some feedback; if you want to file a bug or feature request, please submit a ticket on Jira http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/DTL

Download, Documentation, and Getting Started video are all available at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javafx/tools/index.html

Thanks,

The JavaFX Scene Builder Product Team

Edited by: javafx4you on Apr 5, 2012 7:47 AM
  • 1. Re: Provide us feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    lgringo Newbie
    Hello,

First : great job, its :
    * neat.
    * fast.
    * comprehensible.

Is there a way to import custom controls (such as DatePicker, example http://netbeans.dzone.com/articles/creating-datepicker-control ) ?
  • 2. Re: Provide us feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    sirius Newbie
    I downloaded it yesterday and my first impressions where really positive as I managed to find my way around it quickly and created my first moderately complex scene. It also appeared to be quite stable and didn't notice any problems. I have to admit though I was a bit surprised not to see BorderPane in the list of containers, coming from a Swing background and its BorderLayout it was one of the first things I looked for :)
  • 3. Re: Provide us feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    Simon Vienot Newbie
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Our plan is indeed to include support for the BorderPane component in the near future so you should expect to see that coming in a further Developer Preview build of the Scene Builder.
  • 4. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    857529 Explorer
    @ Igringo: Currently it is not possible to import custom controls in JavaFX Scene Builder, but it's a feature that is in our roadmap

Edited by: javafx4you on Apr 5, 2012 7:59 AM
  • 5. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    870611 Newbie
    It would be cool to add data to charts and populate tables directly in SB
  • 6. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    daniel Journeyer
    Hi,

Do you have a concrete use case for that?

Usually table and chart content is some kind of dynamic data that an application will obtain from some other source (file, database, remote connection, whatever). I may be wrong - but my feeling is that populating charts and table is something you would usually want to do from the code.
    If on the other hand - what you want to do is put some fake data just for the purpose of CSS-fying your app, or getting a feeling of how the component reacts to resizing in Preview - then the menu item "View > Show Sample Data" is made for you ;-)

This will add some fake data (lorem ipsum) to your charts and tables (the table must have some columns and no cell value factory) - so that you can experiment with resizing/CSS.

best regards,

-- daniel
  • 7. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    jsmith Guru
    It would be cool to add data to charts and populate tables directly in SB
    I was wondering about this too.
    the menu item "View > Show Sample Data" is made for you
    Indeed it is, thanks for pointing this out - nice feature.

Lorum Ipsum is great - even works for TreeViews and ListViews.

Often user's want to see real sample data for their domain, so the quicker you can provide that in a rapid prototyping environment the better.
    It would allow for realistic looking quick previews and prototyping without having to write code.
    However, given Lorum Ipsum is already there and super easy to generate, it wouldn't be highest on my wishlist.

It may even to be nice to allow the View Sample Data feature to (optionally) be able to supply Lorum Ipsum for Text and Labels as well as text inside the HTMLEditor, WebView, etc. Text based Lorum Ipsum can be helpful in quickly laying out stuff and choosing from predefined templates as you can see in an examples like this => http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfromjs_source.html, http://yuilibrary.com/yui/docs/node-menunav/node-menunav-6-example.html
  • 8. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    884458 Newbie
    I just tried it and it appears to be missing BorderPane. Was this deliberate?

Also I found he layout to be hardgoing. The basic use case here was putting together a quick form and it wasn't easy. The layout model from the Netbeans Swing Editor was really good so maybe something like that could be incorporated?

Also I'd definitely like to be able to import custom controls. I tend to throw together a lot of custom controls in my guis, even if they're basic composite controls -- think DateRangeSelector -- and reuse them heavily.

Does it have css editing built in to it? Maybe it should...
  • 9. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    Puce Newbie
    When will the Developer Preview for Linux be available?
  • 10. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    857529 Explorer
    @Ocean

it appears to be missing BorderPane
    BorderPane support will be added in an upcoming Developer Preview build

I found he layout to be hardgoing
    Can you file a bug in Jira and provide more details?

I'd definitely like to be able to import custom controls
    This feature will be added in an upcoming the Developer Preview build
  • 11. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    857529 Explorer
    @anatolnsk @ Daniel, @jsmith

Can you submit a feature request on Jira?

Thanks

Edited by: javafx4you on Apr 8, 2012 1:38 PM
  • 12. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    857529 Explorer
    @Puce

When will the Developer Preview for Linux be available?

Linux support is currently scheduled for a future version of JavaFX Scene Builder
  • 13. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    870611 Newbie
    Function "Show sample data" is cool.

But I can't see ability to create table columns/tree nodes in SB.
  • 14. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    Puce Newbie
    Is there a native part involved? Or what is the reason it's not available for Linux now?
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points