3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 10:33 AM by user13430172 RSS

X4270 M24 HDD led AMBER - needs maintenance

I hope one of you can help me with an X4270 storage issue.

I am busy installing OS and application on a X4270 with 24 LSI disks and 2 of the disks have the amber "needs maintenance" led activated so I cannot see
      these disks in the Solaris 10 "format" command.

Issue happened after we ejected and re-inserted these disks (disks should be hot-swappable), I am pretty sure that the disks are fine but cannot manage to
      get them back into operation.

Any help and suggestions are more than welcome, thanks a lot in advance.
        • 1. Re: X4270 M24 HDD led AMBER - needs maintenance
          x4270 - it's general server, not storage.

Docs' about server:

This server can content different raid card for support disk.
          Read http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19245-01/820-6350-16/z400016d9112.html#z40003a21330433

You need identify type insalled raid-controller and use corresponded way for resolve this issue.

It's look like you have: SG-XPCIESAS-R-INT-Z, Adaptec/Intel-based
          You can install software for manage this controller or use BIOS based utility for understand status of disks and clear faulted state.

• 2. Re: X4270 M24 HDD led AMBER - needs maintenance
            Moderator's Action:
            This thread moved from Storage to Servers General Discussion.
            (and your re-post of the same question has been removed as an unnecessary duplicate}
            • 3. Re: X4270 M24 HDD led AMBER - needs maintenance

Solved problem as follows:
              During system boot went into MegaRaid webbios GUI (which is really crappy - only navigation possible via <tab> )
              Went to the controller properties and disabled "Maintain PD fail history".
              More info : http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle16570.aspx

Booted from the Oracle Hardware Assistant ISO and re-created raid 0 volumes on the disks.