1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2012 5:12 AM by 926113 RSS

ODBC and UTF8 charset

Win7 x32
      Oracle XE 11g

How to set a UTF8 charset?

My script is connecting via PDO ODBC: Driver={Oracle in XE};Dbq=mydb;Uid=user;Pwd=psw;

The registry NLS_LANG is set to AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8

Windows locale is set to US.

When I insert word "тест" it looks like "тест" in DB.
        • 1. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
          Any small hint :)
          • 2. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
            orafad
            Does client input use UTF-8 encoding? Otherwise nls_lang is likely wrong and should instead be set to indicate actual client char set (e.g. windows ansi code page).
            • 3. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
              Does client input use UTF-8 encoding?
              Yes, the php file encoding is set to UTF8 without BOM.

When I insert from a php script encoded to windows 1251 charset it works correctly. Does it mean that DB is not set to UTF8?
              • 4. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                orafad
                11.2 XE means database character set AL32UTF8 only.

With a passthrough scenario, character codes need to be Utf-8. Verify that data source is encoded correctly.
                • 5. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                  orafad
                  >
                  What tool did you use to look at that word?

Use Oracle SQL Developer to query, as it is unicode enabled, and in addition to verify code points stored:

select column, dump(column, 1016) from table where suitable_condition ...;
                  • 6. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                    Oracle SQL developer.
                    and in addition to verify code points stored
                    It returns: Typ=1 Len=8 CharacterSet=AL32UTF8: d1,82,d0,b5,d1,81,d1,82
                    • 7. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                      orafad
                      Codes stored represents Unicode code points U+0442 U+0435 U+0441 U+0442, which is correct per "word" input in op.

Looks like you have a presentation problem. Version of SQL Developer used? Verify that unicode fonts are setup.

Also what type of connection? In general SQL Developer uses jdbc, with which NLS_LANG does not matter.
                      • 8. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                        Looks like you have a presentation problem. Version of SQL Developer used?
                        I use v3.1.07 but actually there isn't problem with the SQL developer tool because when I use it for seeing, inserting/updating the data it works correctly. There is a problem when I try to insert or update (select ok) from a php script. I update a table from php script (which is utf8 encoded) using PDO ODBC driver but it saves the data in windows 1251. If I encode the php script to windows 1251 than it saves it in utf8. Is it possible that ODBC driver converts the charset while inserting or updating method?

PS: Before all I migrated all data from MySQL DB (which was utf8 encoded) to Oracle DB using SQL developer tool. I suppose it was migrated without converting the charset.
                        • 9. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                          orafad
                          >
                          So, I have to repeat the question:

• 10. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                            SQL developer last version. Also by selecting this inserted word from DB in php script and outputting it in a browser (the page is set to utf8 charset).
                            • 11. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                              orafad
                              923110 wrote:
                              SQL developer last version. Also by selecting this inserted word from DB in php script and outputting it in a browser (the page is set to utf8 charset).
                              I'm lost. I'll try a different way of getting clarification:

In first post it was stated
                              ... "тест" it looks like "тест"
                              Where, exactly?

Assuming it is only from PHP script, then utf-8 codes are output as is but interpreted in a single-byte character set (0xD1 82 is "С‚" in win-1251 - and U+0442, Cyrillic small TE, in Utf-8).
                              Is the browser's detection of encoding working?
                              • 12. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                                Where, exactly?
                                Connections -> MyConnection -> Other users -> MyUser -> Tables -> MyTable -> Data Tab
                                Is the browser's detection of encoding working?
                                Yes

The migrated data is outputting well, inserted/updated data by SQL developer is also outputting well, there is only problem with new inserted/updated data from the php script.
                                • 13. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                                  I changed windows locale from US to Russian and NS_LANG to russian_russia.cl8mswin1251

So now the problem is also changed:

select/insert/update NEW data using php script (utf8 encoded) is now OK.

but migrated data (by SQL developer) presented in windows-1251 and can not be correctly outputted by php script in utf8.
                                  • 14. Re: ODBC and UTF8 charset
                                    orafad
                                    >
                                    there is only problem with new inserted/updated data from the php script.
                                    Ok this is new info, and probably closer to the problem.

Insert a new row with character data via php and use the dump function on that row, e.g.

select column, dump(column, 1016) from table where suitable_condition_to_retrieve_newly_inserted_row ...;
                                    1 2 Previous Next