This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 8:02 AM by 927215 RSS

3.1 - Public Synonyms - Hanging

716245 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
When I click on Public Synonyms it says loading and hangs. I then have to Task Manager out of SQL Dev 3.1.
  • 1. Re: 3.1 - Public Synonyms - Hanging
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi JB,

There are a couple of different issues here:
    1. Due to the sheer number of public synonyms, it is true running the query and rendering the result in the navigator tree can be quite slow.
    2. Attempts to cancel this long running task from within SQL Developer can fail.

A workaround to prevent yourself from accidentally running this task is to apply a (highly restrictive) filter on the Public Synonym node.

As for the cancellation issue, a bug was logged specifically for remote DB connections:
    Bug 12842181 - CANCEL ON PUBLIC SYNONYMS QUERY FOR REMOTE DB CAUSES HANG

but it might happen on a local DB also, either
    A. As a true hang (probably due to using an incompatible JDBC driver version -- should be using ojdbc6.jar), or
    B. As with the cancellation failing so that you must wait for the DB to return the query result.

Examples of (B):
    * Windows platform limitation for Out of Bound Breaks, especially for SERVER=SHARED connections
    * Perhaps you disabled JDBC Out of Band Breaks intentionally (as a workaround another issue) and forgot about it:
    Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables

Hope this helps,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: 3.1 - Public Synonyms - Hanging
    927215 Newbie
    I tried adding a restrictive filter and that fixed the hanging problem for me. Thanks for the tip!
  • 3. Re: 3.1 - Public Synonyms - Hanging
    JacobatTheNewSchool Newbie
    Hi, Can you please provide an example of the filter which worked for you? I believe I've encountered this issue, too.
    I'm curious how restrictive - maybe an example will help me.
    thanks//jacob
  • 4. Re: 3.1 - Public Synonyms - Hanging
    927215 Newbie
    I was only interested in synonyms created by a single owner so the filter I used was: table_owner = 'OWNER_NAME'. There are only a few synonyms created by this user, so the list came back instantly.

I hope that helps you a little,
    Richard

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points