4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 3:02 AM by EJP RSS

What to Use?

Hi,

Me and one of my friend planning to create an identification application by using Java Technology. The brief is that, application should take the finger or thumb print from a device attach to the terminals via LAN or SERIAL port (using DLL provided by third party to communicate with device ) and match it in the database i.e. Oracle 10g.

Here we are confuse that should we use:
      1- Java Server Faces or
      2. should create RMI Application
      or
      any other suggestion you would like to give us, to create distributed application.

for that there is a dedicated server and at least 6 terminals. This application will be running on intranet only.

I'll be glad if you may show us the right path to create such type of application.

Looking forward to your kind and early response.

Regards,

M.A.Bamboat

Edited by: 883262 on Apr 12, 2012 9:25 PM
        • 1. Re: What to Use?
          EJP
          Here we are confuse that should we use:
          1- Java Server Faces or
          JSF is used when the client is a Web browser.
          2. RMI Application
          RMI is used when you want to execute remote method calls.

As we don't know whether you intend to do either of these things, or indeed exactly what you do intend the server and the client to do, it is impossible to comment further.
          any other suggestion you would like to give us, to create distributed application.
          Well, what features do you need? Web browser interface? GUI? Command line? Background process?
          • 2. Re: What to Use?
            DarrylBurke
            Cross posted
            http://www.java-forums.org/new-java/58266-what-use.html

db
            • 3. Re: What to Use?
              Thanks EJP;

We want to build Server/Client GUI Application.

Application will be used for:

1. insert data in the oracle such as personal information, their thumb prints (as taken from Device by using third party DLL), their social card details.
              2. get and verify the desire person details.
              3. the insertion will be occur from various terminals; may be 4 to 5 terminal officers will be inserting the desire data and same scenario will be used in the retrieval case.

Sorry that I didn't clear the scenario at first time.

Looking forward to your kind reply

Regards.
              • 4. Re: What to Use?
                EJP
                We want to build Server/Client GUI Application.
                So therefore you don't want JSF unless your clients are Web browsers. As they need to access local devices and as you mention GUI I conclude you are planning on writing 'thick' Swing clients. You could use RMI for this.