5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2007 3:31 PM by 533098 RSS

Driver Could not be loaded

Hi,
      I am getting this error, when i am trying to make a database connection using oracle.
      Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
      Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 998 (Oracle in OraHome92).

I have tested my DSN, it connects successfully. I have checked my data source using tnsping,sqlplus, works fine.
      I have also given IUSR,IWAM permissions to ora92 directory/sub-directories.

The code i am using is:
      Dim DConn
      Set DConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
      DConn.Open "DSN=xyz;uid=abc;pwd=abc"
      DConn.Close
      Set DConn = nothing

thanks.
        • 1. Re: Driver Could not be loaded
          System error 998 = Invalid access to memory location.
          Probably not a permissions error. Make sure there are no duplicates of the oracle DLLs (like OCI.DLL) floating around. There should just be the ones in the $Oracle_home/bin directories. Then make sure the environemt PATH is set to include the one you want to load (OraHome92) first in the path statement for the user the process runs as (IUSR,IWAM I am guessing).
          • 2. Re: Driver Could not be loaded
            I checked both things and
            1. there are no duplicates dlls as you mentioned
            2. the PATH is already set correctly in enviornment variables to..c:\oracle\ora92\bin
            How do i check that it is set for (IUSR,IWAM users)?
            What else could be the reason for the error?
            • 3. Re: Driver Could not be loaded
              This is what happened to me. I was getting the error: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
              Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 5. I then gave IUSR_machine name account and the IWAM_machine name accounts full access to the Bin folder.

I then got the error: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 998. I then gave IUSR_machine name account and the IWAM_machine name accounts full access to the whole Oracle home folder C:\Oracle\OraHome92, and it is working!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Thx,
              Scott Buerkley
              • 4. Re: Driver Could not be loaded
                I got the similar issue, but when I tried to grant access for the IUSR_machine name user account for the ora92/bin directory, I got the following message:

"An object named "IUSR_machine name" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection."

So it sounds like my PC cannot recognize the machine name?

Thanks,
                • 5. Re: Driver Could not be loaded
                  Be careful! There will be no account called "IUSR_machine name". If your machine's name is "Fred" then the account will be called "IUSR_Fred". You might need the domain in front of that e.g "YOURDOMAIN\IUSR_Fred".

Hope that helps