4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 8:00 PM by 854869 RSS

Install Oracle 11g R2 64-bit on Windows 7 home premium

Hi Guys

I'm a little pissed off.I've installed Oracle 11g R2 a few times now..on windows xp without any issues but the first time I've tried to install 11g R2 64-bit on my new laptop and it just won't work.
      The installation goes just fine until step 4 System class and I chose Desktop class and the installation program just hangs.
      I've done the following steps
      1: Installed Java SDK 6 update 31 in the following directory C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_31
      2: I've also disabled User account control settings to never notify.
      3: I've tried unzipping the two zip files separately and together with the same result.(hung installation)
      4: updated java_home and path environment variables with the java sdk directory. (My path does have other values which have a space between directory names..ive tried
      removing all those entries and just keeping the java directory entry but it still gave me the same error)
      5: I always kick off the installation setup.exe file as an administrator.

I'ld appreciate some help....
      Tks
      D
        • 1. Re: Install Oracle 11g R2 64-bit on Windows 7 home premium
          EdStevens
          851866 wrote:
          Hi Guys

I'm a little pissed off.I've installed Oracle 11g R2 a few times now..on windows xp without any issues but the first time I've tried to install 11g R2 64-bit on my new laptop and it just won't work.
          The installation goes just fine until step 4 System class and I chose Desktop class and the installation program just hangs.
          I've done the following steps
          1: Installed Java SDK 6 update 31 in the following directory C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_31
          2: I've also disabled User account control settings to never notify.
          3: I've tried unzipping the two zip files separately and together with the same result.(hung installation)
          4: updated java_home and path environment variables with the java sdk directory. (My path does have other values which have a space between directory names..ive tried
          removing all those entries and just keeping the java directory entry but it still gave me the same error)
          5: I always kick off the installation setup.exe file as an administrator.

I'ld appreciate some help....
          Tks
          D
          Did you read the prereqs in the fine Installation Guide? No oracle product is certified on any "home" edition of any version of Windows.
          From the installation guide, at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24283/toc.htm#BGBEEBAD
          ======================

Operating System

Oracle Database for Windows x64 is supported on the following operating systems:
          • Windows Server 2003 - all x64 editions

• Windows Server 2003 R2 - all x64 editions

• Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

• Windows Vista x64 - Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions

• Windows Server 2008 x64 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 - Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Web, and Foundation editions. The Server Core option is not supported.

Note: Check My Oracle Support (formerly OracleMetaLink) for more information about Hyper-V support.

Windows 7 x64 - Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions

===========================
          • 2. Re: Install Oracle 11g R2 64-bit on Windows 7 home premium
            Helios-GunesEROL
            Hi;

As mention here home version is not certified. You can use vmmachine which you can install OEL5.x from edelivery freely and can try to make installation on it

Regard
            Helios
            • 3. Re: Install Oracle 11g R2 64-bit on Windows 7 home premium
              Thanks Ed
              I'm now upgrading to the professional version and hope that works

Thanks for your reply

D
              • 4. Re: Install Oracle 11g R2 64-bit on Windows 7 home premium
                Thanks for your help Helios
                I'm upgrading to windows 7 pro to resolve this issue

D