1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 12:38 PM by Amatu Allah Neveen Ebrahim

Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g

We have migrated our application from forms 6i to forms 10g and now in forms 10g the arabic characters are displaying as question marks while it displays correctly in the old application using forms 6i. I have already set the character set to AR8MSWIN1256 in the registry, but it didn't help. Somebody please help.
        • 1. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
          HamidHelal
          Welcome to OTN
          Before posting on this forum please read

what is NLS_CHARACTERSET value of your database?

try to use AR8MISO8859P6 and it's perfect for Arabic language.

For your Application Server, in the registry, check
          NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.AR8MSWIN1256

and please read this..how to display arabic in forms

Hope this helps

Edited by: HamidHelal on Apr 16, 2012 8:29 PM
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
            Amatu Allah Neveen Ebrahim
            Amer Farhan wrote:
            We have migrated our application from forms 6i to forms 10g and now in forms 10g the arabic characters are displaying as question marks while it displays correctly in the old application using forms 6i. I have already set the character set to AR8MSWIN1256 in the registry, but it didn't help. Somebody please help.
            What if u do the following select statment it should display the following output ?

SQL> select * from v$nls_parameters
              2  where parameter in ('NLS_CHARACTERSET','NLS_LANGUAGE');

PARAMETER
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            VALUE
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            NLS_LANGUAGE
            ARABIC

NLS_CHARACTERSET
            AR8MSWIN1256
            or u should Read the following problem similar to urs somehow i gave a well tested How can you type from RIGHT-to-LEFT (i.e. Arabic style) in Forms?,

Hope it helps...

Regards,

Amatu Allah
            • 3. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
              Thanks to HamedHelal and Amatu Allah for your response. I found that actually the problem is in database character set. It is the default character set for english (WE8MSWIN1252). I wonder how it is displaying properly in the old forms 6i application even though database character set is english character set.
              Now please could you advise me, is it better to create a new instance of database as Amatu Allah has suggested or is it better to change the character set through sql as some others have suggested? I have doubt whether the arabic data characters presently stored in english character set database will be lost if I convert the database character now.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,
              Amer
              • 4. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                Sarah
                hi

i will suggest you do not change it,go for new installation for database and select the character set as (AL32UTF8).

hope this helps you.

sarah
                • 5. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                  Thanks Sarah for you quick reply, are there are any known concerns with changing the database character set? I can re-create the database, only thing is I will have to stop the users from accessing the database.
                  • 6. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                    Sarah
                    hi

Attempting to change the database character set to a character set
                    that is not a strict superset can result in data loss and data corruption.

sarah
                    • 7. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                      @ Sarah, Al-Salamu Alikum We Rahmatu Allah we Barakatu,
                      Sarah Habibty, why new installation ? In order to select a new suitable character set !!!

Then creating a new instance from the db is a better alternative since it saves time,effort and another back up of his current db is exist safely if needed for any purposes in the future.

@Amer,honestly speaking...

Modifing ur NLS_LANG to > AMERICAN_AMERICA.AR8MSWIN1256

Works for me in both Arabic and English data in 2 applications.This works in my pc.But it didn't works at my boss pc this can happened don't have any reason for that.!!!!

i spent lot's of time trying to search but what i had got is that solution i suggested by a friend of mine.
                      Now please could you advise me, is it better to create a new instance of database as Amatu Allah has suggested or is it better to change the character set through sql as some others have suggested?
                      Again i suggest to select the short cut way ; to reset the character set through sql after taking a back up from ur data that is currently exist.

then retest again doing the select and test ur data input and retrieval.
                      2 where parameter in ('NLS_CHARACTERSET','NLS_LANGUAGE');
                      watching the output if it works that's fine saving ur time & effort .

if not working with the correct NLS_CHARACTERSET then use my previous solution.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Amatu Allah
                      • 8. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                        Sarah
                        hi

@Amatu Allah walaikumsalam warahmatullah wabarakatu.

Changing the Database Character Set of an Existing Database

Database character set migration has two stages: data scanning and data conversion.
                        Before you change the database character set,
                        you need to identify possible database character set conversion problems
                        and truncation of data. This step is called data scanning.

Data scanning identifies the amount of effort required to migrate data into the new character
                        encoding scheme before changing the database character set. Some examples of what may be found during
                        a data scan are the number of schema objects where the column widths need to be expanded
                        and the extent of the data that does not exist in the target character repertoire.
                        This information helps to determine the best approach for converting the database character set.

Incorrect data conversion can lead to data corruption,so perform a full backup of the database before attempting to migrate the data to a new character set.

sarah
                        • 9. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                          Well,i do agree with u Sarah thanks for ur comments pls have a look here
                          This is a related artical, now the Best alternative we have is Creating an instance from the db it worked well ...

Regards,

Amatu Allah
                          • 10. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                            Thanks Sarah for your advice, I have prepared a test database with AR8MSWIN1256 character set and it works, I am able to enter arabic data and retrieve it. But my concern now is how to recover the old arabic data which was entered before. That is still displaying as question marks.
                            • 11. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                              Sarah
                              now try to import the old dump files in the database and check,
                              i hope now it will work.

sarah
                              • 12. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                                Sarah, I did import the old dump file on the test database, the old data is displaying as question marks. The thing is in old application environment previously the users were somehow entering the data in arabic even while the database character set was WE8MSWIN1252 and the client computer data set was WE8ISO8859P1. (the user system has arabic language pack installed). Now I am wondering how to move the arabic data to new server with arabic characterset (AR8MSWIN1256).
                                • 13. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                                  Amer Farhan wrote:
                                  Sarah, I did import the old dump file on the test database, the old data is displaying as question marks. The thing is in old application environment previously the users were somehow entering the data in arabic even while the database character set was WE8MSWIN1252 and the client computer data set was WE8ISO8859P1. (the user system has arabic language pack installed). Now I am wondering how to move the arabic data to new server with arabic characterset (AR8MSWIN1256).
                                  Amer, Would u post the result of the below query here pls ?
                                  2 where parameter in ('NLS_CHARACTERSET','NLS_LANGUAGE');
                                  Regards,

Amatu Allah
                                  • 14. Re: Arabic characters are displaying as question marks in forms 10g
                                    This is the result on my existing database

NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
                                    NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8MSWIN1252

This is the result on my test database I am planning to move on to.

NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN

NLS_CHARACTERSET AR8MSWIN1256

Regards,
                                    Amer
                                    1 2 Previous Next