5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 6:41 PM by onedbguru RSS

Duplicate database using ASM to new host

ora-00600
      Dear Team, I need to move 2 standalone databases (11.2.0.2) that are using ASM to a new host (maintaining db_name) on redhat 5.6 with minimum downtime.

Does anybody have an step by step for accomplish this?

thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Duplicate database using ASM to new host
          damorgan
          Are the databases on the host or on shared storage such as a SAN or NAS?

If shared storage leave them where they are if you can. Otherwise create an ASM diskgroup on the new storage and migrate from the existing group to the new group. You should have zero downtime.
          • 2. Re: Duplicate database using ASM to new host
            ora-00600
            Hello, thanks for your response. They are on differents san. Do you have any step by step or guideline?
            • 3. Re: Duplicate database using ASM to new host
              damorgan
              This forum is not the place to teach a class ... look up how to create diskgroups and how to migrate between them in the online docs.

You will need to make both SANs visible to the current server for the duration of the migration.
              • 4. Re: Duplicate database using ASM to new host
                ora-00600
                Hello, I understand what the forum is for, thats why I post here. Thanks.

I just need to know if someone has already executed this kind of work (Clone a database in ASM to a different host). The SANs are not going to be visibles (two differents datacenters and no SAN extension) I just have 1gb link to move an RMAN backup.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Anybody else can help me? I search on Metalink, but i can't find what I need.
                • 5. Re: Duplicate database using ASM to new host
                  onedbguru
                  The relevant search terms are: CLONE DATABASE. If the "new database" is going to replace current database, the relevant search terms are CONFIGURE DATA GUARD (Free on EE only). Yes, I have done this - many times - had to actually read the docs and test the scenario many times before actually implementing in production. You can really screw yourself if you do it wrong.

I don't know why companies insist on saving a few pennys when they will lose lots of $$$ trying to manually implement what EE gives them. It really is not that much more expensive comparatively speaking, but the tools and features are well worth the cost - and don't forget to ask for the management packs to be included in the contract for "free".