4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 7:12 PM by Matthew Morris RSS

Is class highly recommended for exam?

jpearsonva
      Hi,
      I'll be getting my OCA certification and for the Oracle Database 11g: Administration I 1Z0-052 exam I am wondering if it is highly recommended to take the preceding class. I have about 2.5 years managing Oracle servers as a DBA and have upgraded and built several 11g environments by now, as well as day to day administration. Looking over the class topics, there would not be much that I haven't already learned myself but I am wondering if it helps when it comes to the exam, as I know the exam questions can be very specific and not necessarily rooted in practical application so my only concern is in that regard. Is the class geared toward prepartion for the exam and do the materials also speak to the exam?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Is class highly recommended for exam?
          bigdelboy
          jpearsonva wrote:
          Hi,
          I'll be getting my OCA certification and for the Oracle Database 11g: Administration I 1Z0-052 exam I am wondering if it is highly recommended to take the preceding class. I have about 2.5 years managing Oracle servers as a DBA and have upgraded and built several 11g environments by now, as well as day to day administration. Looking over the class topics, there would not be much that I haven't already learned myself but I am wondering if it helps when it comes to the exam, as I know the exam questions can be very specific and not necessarily rooted in practical application so my only concern is in that regard. Is the class geared toward prepartion for the exam and do the materials also speak to the exam?

Thanks
          Sure you are OCA certificate you will be getting .... but no 1z0-052 have you passed yet so no OCA certificate you will get yet ;-)

Most seriously.

If you are a well practiced DBA and confident with the 1z0-052 topics then buying the exam orientated Oracle Press or Sybex book as a double check would probably be the most effective route to OCA IMHO to check you have not any knowledge gaps (these are not perfect, but the can be useful). A possible exception might be if you have a WDP course provider nearby (Never mind hte quality feed the width (for the money). (wdp.oracle.com).

However if you go forward for he 11g DBA OCP then you will need a verified course as part of the pre-requisites. This can be one directly relevant to the OCP course, of there are others that may extend into an area you may wan to get into.

You instance IMHO there is little point in an experienced DBA doing a course than substantially covers a lot of what he already knows, perhaps better to seek something off the approved course list which expands the knowledge ( dataguard, tuning, Clusterware/RAC). Having said that there is a lot of RMAN in the database admin II, so if you have experienced that much that may be useful. Costs of courses can vary, and course cost may be a factor.

I assume you have already browsed http://certification.oracle.com ; ensure you have understood the mandatary training courses properly.

Having said that, if you have the money Oracle University training is usually excellent.
          • 2. Re: Is class highly recommended for exam?
            jpearsonva
            Yes, after reviewing the pre-requisites, since I am going for the OCP and would want to take the Workshop II..it looks like I will need workshop I anyway, so don't see why it would hurt.

Question - would you recommend taking oracle 9i SQL or the oracle 11g SQL as the first exam? Not sure why they are both offered? It seems more recent book and study materials are available for 11g so I am leaning towards that at the moment?
            • 3. Re: Is class highly recommended for exam?
              bigdelboy
              jpearsonva wrote:
              Yes, after reviewing the pre-requisites, since I am going for the OCP and would want to take the Workshop II..it looks like I will need workshop I anyway, so don't see why it would hurt.
              Make sure you take note of the difference between mandatory certification pre-requisites (where a mandatory course may be submitted)

and suggested training pre-requsites for exams and training courses. These indicate a suggest level of knowledge that a candidate needs.

>
              Question - would you recommend taking oracle 9i SQL or the oracle 11g SQL as the first exam? Not sure why they are both offered? It seems more recent book and study materials are available for 11g so I am leaning towards that at the moment?
              1z0-051 every time ... IMHO 1z0-007 ought to have ben retired two years ago. ( Others view this differently ... hopefully they are reducing in number).
              • 4. Re: Is class highly recommended for exam?
                Matthew Morris
                Is the class geared toward prepartion for the exam and do the materials also speak to the exam?
                The classes that Oracle Education recommends for the exams are highly correlated to them. It's pretty much guaranteed that all of the test topics will be covered in the class. Whether you can pass the exam just from taking the course depends on how much you know before taking the course and how much you learn while you're there. As part of a study program towards passing the exam, it's hard to beat (assuming you have a few thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket).