This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 7:55 AM by 806512 RSS

Admin Console not showing any information on fresh x64 Solaris install

931020 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate SGD for my company as it coincides with our plans to virtualize our desktops however, having played around SGD previously on a SPARC platform running SXCE a while back I recall that the Admin Console was populated by the local server system as SGD server and Application server and additionally had Applications in the corresponding tab and a means to add applications additionally via OU objects.

I have installed the latest downloadable version (4.61xx) for Solaris x64 and the install claimed that it was successful.

Now however, nothing is populated within the Admin Console and there are no means to add/search or do any other kind of "admining" at all as the right pane is simply blank for User Profiles, Applications, and Application Servers??

Having gone through the logs (there aren't many filled with information) nothing really comes up as errornous or that would standout as to why this is happening.

I'm running Solaris 11 (Solaris 11 Express??) downloaded from the Oracle site which should be supported as it's the latest one.

Is this a new design implementation or is it simply a bug?

Can anyone give me some advice or a hand to fix it??

I'd really like to show this off to my company in full colors as I plan to additionally integrate this with the Sun Ray's and other Oracle desktop virtualization products.
  • 1. Re: Admin Console not showing any information on fresh x64 Solaris install
    MrBrown Explorer
    if you are using Solaris 11, then you have not not read the install docs as Solaris 11 is not supported by SGD yet. Also SGD 4.62.913 is the latest. If you search My Oracle Support, you'll see there are also docs that talk about using unsupported versions of browsers which will also cause you to not see some Admin Console info.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19351-01/index.html

Application, User, and/or Host Objects Not Visible In Secure Global Desktop's Administration Console (Doc ID 1310560.1)
    https://support.oracle.com/oip/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=1310560.1&h=Y

and

https://support.oracle.com/oip/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=1275575.1&h=Y
  • 2. Re: Admin Console not showing any information on fresh x64 Solaris install
    931020 Newbie
    Thanks for the response!

I read the install doc, but only the sections that are the tech parts as to how to install/uninstall/start SGD....

Is version 4.62 available to people without Oracle service contracts?

I have a self signup account and went to the download page off Oracles site which gave me version 4.61.

That said is Solaris 10 still available to download free off the Oracle site? [EDIT] I found it here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris10/downloads/index.html

If Sol11 isn't supported then I don't mind making my point to my company with Sol10!

Edited by: 928017 on Apr 16, 2012 3:43 PM
  • 3. Re: Admin Console not showing any information on fresh x64 Solaris install
    MrBrown Explorer
    as per the link I sent, v4.62 is only available if you have a Support contract for Secure Global Desktop. If you are just evaluating, then v4.61 from the Delivery Cloud is good enough.

Solaris 10 is still available, but does require a license to use for commercial purposes. You can still download it for evaluation purposes.

4.61 on Solaris 10 works very well.
  • 4. Re: Admin Console not showing any information on fresh x64 Solaris install
    931020 Newbie
    Many thanks for the help and support :-)

Two last things:

1. how can I make SGD start at boot time?

I'm not that familiar with tying software into svcadm as I'm more used to the old style rc scripts.

2. what's a good way to convince my company to get on the Oracle bandwagon where VDI is concerned?

I would really like them to implement a VDI cloud/cluster environment using Sun Ray's, SGD and anything else from Sun Oracle but I need them to understand/see it's power.

Unfortunately bringing my Sun Ray 1 from home in to the office isn't an option as everything needs to go through channels at work but still......
  • 5. Re: Admin Console not showing any information on fresh x64 Solaris install
    931020 Newbie
    Ok this weird now....

I've just tried installing SGD on Solaris 10. The same version as what I tried with Sol11 but still am running into the same issue?

No applications listed in the right pane - totally blank and same for servers and profiles???

I really don't get this!

I mean at least I expect a find/search bar or something.

[EDIT]

The above links don't work either??

I am using Firefox 11 on Fedora 16 x64; the error message is: "HTTP Bridge error"

Doc link is fine though!

Edited by: 928017 on Apr 17, 2012 6:00 AM
  • 6. Re: Admin Console not showing any information on fresh x64 Solaris install
    user215814 Newbie
    Firefox 11 won't work, you'll need to use an older version. I think it's stated in the links that were provided above.
  • 7. Re: Admin Console not showing any information on fresh x64 Solaris install
    806512 Newbie
    928017 wrote:
    Ok this weird now....

I've just tried installing SGD on Solaris 10. The same version as what I tried with Sol11 but still am running into the same issue?

No applications listed in the right pane - totally blank and same for servers and profiles???
    Unfortunately, the "eval" version does require the fix provided by "MrBrown" above:

Application, User, and/or Host Objects Not Visible In Secure Global Desktop's Administration Console (Doc ID 1310560.1)
    https://support.oracle.com/oip/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=1310560.1&h=Y

Which is only available if you have a support contract. In the meantime, the Firefox web browser installed on your Solaris system should work for running the admin console. You can access the GNOME/JDS desktop (with Firefox web browser) using the "My Desktop" (iirc) link on your webtop. That is, login to SGD as "administrator", run "My Desktop", and run Firefox from there.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points