This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 6:38 AM by 931519 RSS

Fibre channel ZFS SAN Controller, having some trouble, need some help....

931519 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, Guys!

I would appreciate some help here, from fibre channel guys that know what they talk about....

I am at the moment building a SAN controller with Fc target interface. I have quite good knowledge of fibre channel, been working with it in the datacenter I use to work in earlier. But perhaps I don't have the real deeeeep knowledge that I would need....

Anyway, I base the controller on OpenIndiana, and use the COMSTAR for the fc targets, and ZFS to manage the pools and drives.

I bought a couple of QLA2462 HBA's on eBay, and I allready had a bunch of QLA23xx. COMSTAR support only 4 Gb and up fc adapters for targets. Also only 4 Gb and up fc switches and HBA's supports NPIV, which I am interested in.

At the moment I only test the system, so I thought I don't need a switch, I can run point-to-point.

Problem is that I got some boot problems, and it seems to be with different servers. I try to boot off the SAN controller, and it works good on someservers, but bad on others. Generally it seem to work about half of the times I try. Perhaps I have try to boot about a 100 times now, and perhaps about 50 of these were successful. No probs when OS is up, I run Linux hosts.

I try to narrow down the problems, so here are some ideas I have:

One thought I have is that booting from an fc HBA isn't supported point-to-point? Anyone knows? As I said, it works on all servers, but on some good, on others bad.

Does the name server in the switch has something to do with the booting? I know the name switch keep track on the logged in devices, and broadcast them on the SAN.

When it doesn't work, the fc device(COMSTAR) doesn't show up in POST under the HBA bios initialization. But if I get in to the bios, after that it showed no bootable devices, the device and the assigned LUN's shows up. Allways! So it is there! Just a question WHY it doesn't show up under POST?

So another idea I have here is that it is an incompatibility with the motherboard firmware on the server.

I bought new(4) fibre cables, but one turned out to be completely bad, so perhaps it could be the cables?

As you see, this is difficult, I need to narrow it down, and get some fresh ideas here....

That's why I in full confidence turn to you, guys...help me, will you...?

Regards Johan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points