This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 5:46 AM by RohanDekate RSS

java newbie - Can i pick ATG fast? -Please help!!!

931573 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I am a newbie to Java and have 2 years experience in .NET. At my new workplace i am supposed to work on ATG E Commerce.
Just need your opinion that being new to java and ATG how quick or easy would it be to pickup ATG E Commerce without any prior knowledge of JAVA?

Any suggestions to make transition any easier are welcome.

Thanks.
OracleUser.

Edited by: 928570 on Apr 18, 2012 10:02 AM

Edited by: OracleUser on Apr 19, 2012 9:03 AM
  • 1. Re: java newbie - Can i pick ATG fast?
    302517 Newbie
    Moving from C#.NET into Java should be very simple for you. The languages are more alike then they are different. You biggest challenge will probably be getting out of the .NET conventions (variable names start with uppercase like "RepositoryItem Product") and into the Java equivalents (variable names start with lowercase like "RepositoryItem product"). For Java support, the site http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/java is your friend.

Picking up ATG on your own, however, will be the big task. Get training if you can, and ask lots of questions here.

Good Luck.
  • 2. Re: java newbie - Can i pick ATG fast?
    302517 Newbie
    Oh, hey, here's a good "C# to Java" reference: http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/32385/switch-from-c-to-java-which-gotchas-i-should-care
  • 3. Re: java newbie - Can i pick ATG fast?
    931573 Newbie
    Thanks a lot for your input Robert.
  • 4. Re: java newbie - Can i pick ATG fast? -Please help!!!
    RohanDekate Newbie
    Hi,
    With patience you can pick ATG fast. As you cannot be expert within a day a week or a month. The people Who are professionals had put their lots of effort to become professionals. It will take time . But at the end of day You will learn. And If your new Place is providing you training then you can pick up very fast.
    Hope you leave .net Affection aside and not abuse java when you messed with syntax mistake as you are moving to java :)
    Hope it helps :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points