4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2012 4:17 AM by rukbat RSS

Complete Beginner with a Sun Fire V440

Hi All,

I have a Sun Fire V440 and have no experience with Sun at all!
      I have a Virtual Machine set up running Oracle Solaris 11.

I have no idea how to connect to the Sun Fire or make sure it's working. Can anyone help without too much name calling?? :D

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Complete Beginner with a Sun Fire V440
          rukbat
          To begin with, I suggest you learn the hardware before you go confusing yourself with any OS you run on that hardware.

Here's a link to the documentation for the Sunfire V440 system:
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19088-01/v440.srvr/index.html
          Start with the Product Notes and the V440 Administration Guide (they're near the bottom of that page in the link).

Next, I don't know how well Solaris 11 will run on that UltraSPARC-IIIi platform, so you'd probably be better off learning with Solaris 10. Install the OS directly onto the box. Don't get all confused with OS layer upon OS layer upon interplay among virtual this-and-that.

Keep it simple. Understand what you're doing every step along the way.
          • 2. Re: Complete Beginner with a Sun Fire V440
            Hi Rukbat,

I shall have a good read of the documentation and see where I end up!
            I appreciate your quick response, its very much appreciated.
            • 3. Re: Complete Beginner with a Sun Fire V440
              Hello,

+... I don't know how well Solaris 11 will run on that UltraSPARC-IIIi platform ..+

This is from "End of Features (EOF) Planned for Future Releases of Oracle Solaris 11" http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/end-of-notices/eonsolaris11-392732.html :

End of Support for Legacy Hardware
              Support for legacy systems that have included the UltraSPARC I, II, IIe, III, IIIi, III+, IV and IV+ processor architectures (as reported by the Solaris 'psrinfo -pv' command) has been removed.
              All Oracle SPARC Enterprise M-Series Servers and Oracle SPARC T-Series Servers will continue to be supported.

Note: Oracle Solaris 10 will continue to be a supported operating system for these affected platforms as per the current Oracle lifetime support policy.

Michael
              • 4. Re: Complete Beginner with a Sun Fire V440
                rukbat
                This is from "End of Features (EOF) Planned for Future Releases of Oracle Solaris 11"
                http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/end-of-notices/eonsolaris11-392732.html :
                Thanks, Michael, for that information.
                I had a suspicion that was the case.
                I need to make that link into a browser bookmark because the question arises occasionally.

So, user 929156,
                That confirms that you must run Solaris 10 on your V440 system if you hope for it to function properly.

It's good to see that you still peek into here occasionally.
                I've missed your forum contributions.