This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 12:26 PM by RayDeCampo RSS

Re-connect existing WebLogic server to admin tool

RayDeCampo Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
I have a Fusion installation on Red Hat containing WebLogic 10.3.5. At some point in time one of the WebLogic servers was no longer listed by the admin console and could be stopped via the command line tools. The server was running and continued to run fine but never showed up in the admin console. Now I need to make changes and cannot. I have stopped the process with "kill" but deploy commands are not successful (the WebLogic server name is not recognized). The server files are intact.

I figure the best route would be to somehow re-connect the existing server to the admin console so that it can administer it. Any ideas on how to accomplish that? Or if you think another course of action is best I am open to that as well.

Thanks,
Ray
  • 1. Re: Re-connect existing WebLogic server to admin tool
    RaviJegga Expert
    Hi Ray
    1. Any Weblogic Domain (Cluster or NonCluster) should and must have ONE AdminServer and zero or more ManagedServers. This domain will have one main master configuration file named like config.xml file, located under domain root folder/config/config.xml file.

2. First open this config.xml file and in the very first section you will see Security Providers listing. After this, you should see list of all the Servers you have in this Domain like AdminServer, Each ManagedServer, Any Clusters, Servers in Each Cluster, Host and Port of Each Server etc. All these tags in config.xml file are pretty much self explanatory. Look for the Server that you think is NOT getting reconnected with the AdminConsole. AdminConsole will read this config.xml file and will show list of all Servers, clusters etc. So verify this file.

3. Maybe accidentally, this server got deleted from this domain. Also, there should be backup created for the config.xml file. Look at those backups also to see if the server was listed in the first place at all.

If you do not see your server listed in config.xml file, then what you see makes sense. You had to manually configure this other managed server to this domain either through admin console or manually editing config.xml file (Very carefully).

If you see your server listed here but not in console, now thats weird. Let me know after you try above things.

Also, if you use NodeManager to start the managed servers, verify your scripts.

Thanks
    Ravi Jegga
  • 2. Re: Re-connect existing WebLogic server to admin tool
    RayDeCampo Explorer
    Ravi Jegga wrote:
    Hi Ray
    1. Any Weblogic Domain (Cluster or NonCluster) should and must have ONE AdminServer and zero or more ManagedServers. This domain will have one main master configuration file named like config.xml file, located under domain root folder/config/config.xml file.
    Yes, I have one AdminServer and two managed servers. One of the managed servers is missing from the admin console but the other is fine.

>
    2. First open this config.xml file and in the very first section you will see Security Providers listing. After this, you should see list of all the Servers you have in this Domain like AdminServer, Each ManagedServer, Any Clusters, Servers in Each Cluster, Host and Port of Each Server etc. All these tags in config.xml file are pretty much self explanatory. Look for the Server that you think is NOT getting reconnected with the AdminConsole. AdminConsole will read this config.xml file and will show list of all Servers, clusters etc. So verify this file.
    The missing managed server is not present in the config.xml file.

>
    3. Maybe accidentally, this server got deleted from this domain. Also, there should be backup created for the config.xml file. Look at those backups also to see if the server was listed in the first place at all.
    Where are the backups? I do not see them in any obvious places.

>
    If you do not see your server listed in config.xml file, then what you see makes sense. You had to manually configure this other managed server to this domain either through admin console or manually editing config.xml file (Very carefully).
    What steps are necessary when editing config.xml? Does the admin server need to be restarted? Anything beyond that?

>
    If you see your server listed here but not in console, now thats weird. Let me know after you try above things.

Also, if you use NodeManager to start the managed servers, verify your scripts.
    I am not using NodeManager.
  • 3. Re: Re-connect existing WebLogic server to admin tool
    RaviJegga Expert
    Hi Ray
    "The missing managed server is not present in the config.xml file.". This means your Domain is NOT configured with this missing server.

1. How exactly is this missing server created. There are 2 ways. One is at the time of Domain creation itself, you specify 2 servers. Pack the domain. Go to remote machine and run unpack. Or after creating the domain, you add more managed servers to this existing domain. Like post domain creation. Either way information should be there in the config.xml file.

2. Do you have any Clusters. Usually managed servers are expected to be part of cluster, if you use them for Failover, load balancing etc.

3. Under your domain root folder /config/ folder you should see files named like backup_config.xml, backup_config1.xml file etc. If not thats fine.

See this link on how to add new managed servers to an existing domain: But still see if you can answer me the first question. Because at time of domain creation, if 2 servers are added, it should and must exist in config.xml file. BUT if server is added later on, still it should be configured from Admin console to be part of this domain. So something is missing here. Who created this other managed server and check with them how they created it.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E25178_01/core.1111/e10064/expand.htm#BABGJFHJ

Thanks
    Ravi Jegga
  • 4. Re: Re-connect existing WebLogic server to admin tool
    RayDeCampo Explorer
    Ravi Jegga wrote:
    Hi Ray
    "The missing managed server is not present in the config.xml file.". This means your Domain is NOT configured with this missing server.
    Unless I am missing something, this is the problem I have been trying to express.

>
    1. How exactly is this missing server created. There are 2 ways. One is at the time of Domain creation itself, you specify 2 servers. Pack the domain. Go to remote machine and run unpack. Or after creating the domain, you add more managed servers to this existing domain. Like post domain creation. Either way information should be there in the config.xml file.
    The two managed servers were created sometime after the creation of the domain. I used the admin console (web interface) to create both of the servers. After creation both servers displayed properly in the admin console and I was able to start and stop them with the command line interface. I was also able to deploy applications to them, associate JMS servers, etc.

At some point later, the one server has disappeared from the admin console and the config.xml. I do not know how this happened, I am not the only person with access to the server, but in any case that is where I am now.
    2. Do you have any Clusters. Usually managed servers are expected to be part of cluster, if you use them for Failover, load balancing etc.
    No clusters.

>
    3. Under your domain root folder /config/ folder you should see files named like backup_config.xml, backup_config1.xml file etc. If not thats fine.
    I did not find any backups.

>
    See this link on how to add new managed servers to an existing domain: But still see if you can answer me the first question. Because at time of domain creation, if 2 servers are added, it should and must exist in config.xml file. BUT if server is added later on, still it should be configured from Admin console to be part of this domain. So something is missing here. Who created this other managed server and check with them how they created it.
    See above.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points