This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 9:57 PM by 673754 RSS

NoSQL NoDBA

913304 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Do you think NoSQL database means the end of DBAs?

Thank you,
JohnS
  • 1. Re: NoSQL NoDBA
    Charles Lamb Pro
    910301 wrote:
    Hi,

Do you think NoSQL database means the end of DBAs?

Thank you,
    JohnS
    Hello John,

I don't think we've ever really thought about that specific question. When we consider the administration capabilities of Oracle NoSQL Database, we generally don't think of "lights out" administration (even though our heritage is in the Berkeley DB group where lights out administration is assumed). Hence, we have the Admin Console facility for monitoring and administration purposes. Of course, it is always our goal to minimize the amount of administration necessary by making things as seamless as possible for monitoring and configuration of the system. That is just plain common sense since no administrator wants their job to be complex or messy. Given the potential scale of NoSQL Database topologies, it is necessary for us to design the administration capabilities so that we maximize the number of systems that a single administrator can manage.

I hope this is useful.

Charles Lamb
  • 2. Re: NoSQL NoDBA
    952028 Newbie
    John,

In my opinion, while everything is trending toward automation of database related activities, a complex persistence/database technology stack (based on NoSQL, RDBMS, etc.) will always require care and feeding by someone, particularly as the associated deployment footprint increases.

Whether the job is characterized as a DBA position or not (e.g. it could move toward more generalized position such as DevOps), I think it will be hard to completely eliminate human oversight.

Regards,
    Pete
  • 3. Re: NoSQL NoDBA
    957363 Newbie
    Hi,

In fact, NoSQL detabase is also need DBAs, there are also many problems like performance and security.
    And NoSQL can not instead of RDBMS, it just can work with.

Best regards
    Linou
  • 4. Re: NoSQL NoDBA
    673754 Newbie
    Definitely not the end of the line for DBAs working on traditional RDBMS. As long as there are Oracle RDBMS, SQL Server, DB2, etc in the world, there will be DBAs needed to support it. When it comes to NoSQL and other big data related technologies (Hadoop) the administration focus shifts a bit more towards system administrators and developers. Think about it, instead of building indexes, adding data files and traditional performance tuning, NoSQL requires a different skill set. Instead of new data files, a new node might be stood up. Instead of looking at explain plans, a JAVA based MapReduce program might be tuned...it's a different skill set, not the end of the DBA.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points