5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 3:37 AM by 876125 RSS

EM Event: Warning: <Database Instance> - Agent Down

Hello,

while upgrading plugins for the OMS 12 Bundle Patch and applying the BP on the agents, I get a lot of mails with the above subject - namely, one mail by every database instance and every listener running on the host.

Content of the mail is as follows:
      Host=<hostname>
      Target type=Database Instance
      Target name=<database name>
      Categories=Availability
      Message=Agent Down
      Severity=Warning
      Availability status=Agent Down
      Rule Name=Database Availability and Critical States,Target Availability Event Rule
      Rule Owner=SYSMAN

Blackout on the host leads to the OMS not being able to do the upgrades - obviously a blacked-out agent is not able to do that. What puzzles me that in the Rule mentioned in the mail, incidents should only be created for the target type being down (i.e. for database instance when database is down, and so on) as one would expect.

I would rather not blackout all targets on a host EXCEPT the agent as this gets old with our number of hosts and dbs, does anyone know which rule is responsible for the mails and how they could be suppressed temporarily in an efficient way?
        • 1. Re: EM Event: Warning: <Database Instance> - Agent Down
          Loc Nhan -Oracle
          >
          I would rather not blackout all targets on a host EXCEPT the agent as this gets old with our number of hosts and dbs, does anyone know which rule is responsible for the mails and how they could be suppressed temporarily in an efficient way?
          >

The rule name - Database Availability and Critical States,Target Availability Event Rule - is part of the email notification. You can find the rule in the "Incident Rules - All Enterprise Rules" page, which is accessible through Setup > Incidents > Incident Rules.

You can suppress mail notification by editing the rule to remove the Email To and/or Email Cc value in the Notifications section of the Add Actions page (2nd step in The Edit rule set process).

Regards,
          - Loc
          • 2. Re: EM Event: Warning: <Database Instance> - Agent Down
            User760389-Oracle
            Also please edit your notification rules and subscribe to only fatal/critical events which will avoid this notification for database with agent down.

We are working on not sending the agent down event in the first place.

(Jayakumar Sadras)

Edited by: user760389 on Apr 25, 2012 10:13 PM
            • 3. Re: EM Event: Warning: <Database Instance> - Agent Down
              Thanks for your feedback.

From the rule for Database Availability, I assumed that a mail gets sent only in the event of the database being down.
              The rule itself checks for target (=database) availability, and when editing, the only checkbox marked is the "Down" checkbox. The "Agent unreachable" is not checked.

From your feedback, I understand that this "down" rule includes agent down states. Not sending this event is a good idea in my opinion, as an agent down notification can also be sent by the host, and reducing mail flooding is always a good idea. Editing the notification rule is only a temporary workaround, as this will prevent me from getting notice when the database goes down (if I understand correctly)?

Regards
              • 4. Re: EM Event: Warning: <Database Instance> - Agent Down
                rpatti
                I think Jay was referring to selecting availability events by severity. So in the rule create/edit "Select Events" step you can do the following:

1. select (event) Type= Target Availability
                2. Leave the radio button in the sub-section at "All events of type Target Availability"
                3. select the check box next to "Severity" right below the Type field
                4. When a subsequent drop down shows up for severity - select "Fatal"
                5. Optionally, check the box next to "Target type" and choose "Database Instance" if your target set includes other targets - this step should not be needed.
                6. Everything else should remain the same.

Essentially, the "target down" events come with "Fatal" severity and these "agent down" events come with a "Critical" severity. So this is a way to avoid getting the agent down notifications on databases (or any other targets) while getting the genuine target down notifications. Hope this helps.
                • 5. Re: EM Event: Warning: <Database Instance> - Agent Down
                  This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot for clearing it up for me!