8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 12:44 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question

user593399
      Hi,

our service provider is setting up Oracle Data Guard for our duplicated (two app tier nodes, two db nodes) EBS R12 environment's database.

In future deployments, if we want to bring up a new copy of EBS R12 from a lower environment by cloning will that override the Data Guard setup?

If yes, could that be avoided somehow? Any best practices in this?

BR,
      TH
        • 1. Re: EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          In future deployments, if we want to bring up a new copy of EBS R12 from a lower environment by cloning will that override the Data Guard setup?
          Yes.
          If yes, could that be avoided somehow? Any best practices in this?
          You need to rebuild the Data Guard application/database.

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question
            user593399
            Hi Hussein,

thanks for the reply. Our hosting provider has now set up Data Guard. When testing failover to secondary database, application stops working (most probably because it does not know about the secondary database).

What document I should follow to make the application work with secondary database? Can I configure two databases into EBS, or is manual work needed every time switchover occurs?

BR,
            TH
            • 3. Re: EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question
              Kashif M
              What document I should follow to make the application work with secondary database? Can I configure two databases into EBS, or is manual work needed every time switchover occurs?
              Pls follow relevent section from MOS note: Business Continuity for Oracle E-Business Release 12 Using Oracle 11g Physical Standby Database [ID 1070033.1]
              You cant point two DB to single application
              thanks
              • 4. Re: EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                thanks for the reply. Our hosting provider has now set up Data Guard. When testing failover to secondary database, application stops working (most probably because it does not know about the secondary database).
                Have you completed the steps under "6.1 Performing a switchover" section?
                What document I should follow to make the application work with secondary database?
                The same document you followed to implement Data Guard, under "Switchover" section.
                Can I configure two databases into EBS, or is manual work needed every time switchover occurs?
                Manual switchover is required.

Thanks,
                Hussein
                • 5. Re: EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question
                  user593399
                  Hi,

thanks a lot for your replies. As said, our hosting provider has implemented Oracle Data Guard configuration, and is also responsible for the database tier failover and switchover tasks. I will ask them to check that all necessary steps for database tier have been executed as per "Business Continuity for Oracle E-Business Release 12 Using Oracle 11g Physical Standby Database [ID 1070033.1]".

I would still need some clarification. Currently, we have two active application tier nodes using Shared Application Tier:
                  - apphost01
                  - apphost02

Before Data Guard was setup, we've implemented and tested successfully that the whole system (load balancer + app nodes) works with one primary database in dbhost01. Now, our hosting provider has setup dbhost02 as a physical standby database.

Assuming that Data Guard has been setup as per "Business Continuity for Oracle E-Business Release 12 Using Oracle 11g Physical Standby Database [ID 1070033.1]", I would still have some questions.

About the setup for application tier.
                  - "3.10 Copy APPL_TOP and Oracle E-Business Suite technology stacks to application tiers on the standby environment": as we already have application tier nodes created and tested successfully, do we need to execute this section?
                  - "Section 5: Configuration on application tiers after standby database is enabled" only talks about "5.1 Configure standby application tiers". As we do not have any standby application tiers, can we skip this section?

About the switchover/failover to secondary database dbhost02.
                  - In "Section 6: Role Transitions", as our hosting provider is responsible for database related Data Guard tasks, we assume they will execute sections 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3. In "Section 6.4 Configuring application tiers after role transition (switchover, failover, switchback)", I understood that we need to execute AutoConfig in both apphost01 and apphost02, right?. After this, does the application realize that database is now in dbhost02?

- Section "6.4.2 Update host name in fnd_concurrent_requests table" talks about updating application tier node information. As we still have two active application tier nodes apphost01 and apphost02, do we need to do something here?

- Are 6.4.3, 6.4.4 and 6.45 valid only if we had standby application tier node?

Many thanks for your reply in advance.

BR,
                  TH
                  • 6. Re: EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question
                    user593399
                    Hi,

could this be the solution?
                    EBS data guard still using same application server?

For making the application tier node pointing to the new database node then you need to follow the steps under (Note: Note: 456347.1 - Oracle EBS R12 with Database Tier Only Platform on Oracle Database 11.2.0), Step 5. Reconfigure the application tier to connect to the target database machine. Implement those steps before running AutoConfig on the application tier node (this will create the new env file for you which would point to the new database).

The only (simple) question is that how do I "Update the application tier context file" as I don't have access to OAM GUI after the database switchover has occurred?

BR,
                    TH
                    • 7. Re: EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question
                      user9171819
                      Is it possible to copy ebs application files(only appplication not database) from prod to test application server when Production application is running?
                      • 8. Re: EBS R12 cloning and Oracle Data Guard related question
                        Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                        user9171819 wrote:
                        Is it possible to copy ebs application files(only appplication not database) from prod to test application server when Production application is running?
                        Yes it is possible if you are running on Linux/Unix.

Thanks,
                        Hussein