This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 3:51 PM by 931605 RSS

bea JMX not found on startup

931605 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
The bean name is:

com.bea:ServerRuntime=WLS1_COMMON_MS1,
Name=DiagnosticsJMXNotificationSource,
Type=WLDFWatchJMXNotificationRuntime,WLDFRuntime=WLDFRuntime,WLDFWatchNotificationRuntime=WatchNotification

When I run jconsole I can see that this bean is not created early on in the clustered environment during restart and I get this exception:

SEVERE: javax.management.InstanceNotFoundException: com.bea:ServerRuntime=WLS1_COMMON_MS1,Name=DiagnosticsJMXNotificationSource,Type=WLDFWatchJMXNotificationRuntime,WLDFRuntime=WLDFRuntime,WLDFWatchNotificationRuntime=WatchNotification
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.getMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:1094)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.addNotificationListener(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:1190)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.addNotificationListener(JmxMBeanServer.java:801)
at weblogic.management.jmx.mbeanserver.WLSMBeanServerInterceptorBase$19.run(WLSMBeanServerInterceptorBase.java:511)

Here are the different tests I've done:

1. local windows machine, admin server, serverlet listener context initiazed - always works - I can see the bean and hook up a listener
2. linux cluster, app cycle listener - always works
3. linux cluster, serverlet listener context initiazed, mostly fails - can't find the com.bea... bean

For case #3 we have an older war project that will eventually be updated to an ear but for now I don't want to
do that because I will end up having to update around 10 of the war projects at the same time. I want to use
the servlet context initialized for now, if it's possible.

So, for some reason the servlet listener on linux runs early and I can't get the JMX notifications to work. I tried
adding a thread sleep but that seems to just block the bean creation and still I see the failure. So, how can I get
this to work?

thanks,
Paul.
  • 1. Re: bea JMX not found on startup
    ArunBodap Pro
    May be you can try changing the deployment order of your web-applications.
    Increase it from 100 (default) to may be 200 based on the number of applications and their deployment order.
    200 is just a number higher than 100. The applications with the higher number gets deployed after the applications with the lower number.

Please check the below link for steps and further details about deployment order
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/apirefs.1111/e13952/taskhelp/deployment/ChangeTheServerDeploymentOrder.html

Arun
  • 2. Re: bea JMX not found on startup
    931605 Newbie
    I tried changing the deployment order to 200 but that doesn't seem to change the outcome. I may try adding a java timer object but that seems like a hack that may not always work.

thanks,
    Paul.
  • 3. Re: bea JMX not found on startup
    931605 Newbie
    I'm seeing some strange behavior in the weblogic cluster environment. I fired up jconsole and connected to
    all of the managed servers and looked for MBeans having com.bea* and I'm seeing that at least two of
    the managed servers show no beans matching this. Is there some setting to get these beans to show up?
    I think this may be the main reason that I can't find the bean:

com.bea:ServerRuntime=WLS1_COMMON_MS1,
    Name=DiagnosticsJMXNotificationSource,
    Type=WLDFWatchJMXNotificationRuntime,WLDFRuntime=WLDFRuntime,WLDFWatchNotificationRuntime=WatchNotification

The entire com.bea subtree doesn't show up for some of the managed servers? I didn't create the original managed
    servers so I'm not sure what was done.

thanks,
    Paul.
  • 4. Re: bea JMX not found on startup
    931605 Newbie
    I converted the war project to an ear project and I'm still seeing the same problem - the bea.com beans don't show. I added some simple test code in postStart:

for ( String domain : beanServer.getDomains() )
    {
    logger.info( "domain: " + domain );
    }

on my local machine I see:

INFO: domain: Security
    INFO: domain: com.sun.management
    INFO: domain: JMImplementation
    INFO: domain: com.oracle.jdbc
    INFO: domain: com.bea

and on the cluster w/ many managed servers I see:

INFO: domain: JMImplementation
    INFO: domain: oracle.jrockit.management
    INFO: domain: com.sun.management
    INFO: domain: com.oracle.jrockit
    INFO: domain: com.oracle.jdbc
    INFO: domain: java.lang
    INFO: domain: java.util.logging

So, the bea.com domain is missing? Is there some way to get this domain to be available?

thanks,
    Paul.
  • 5. Re: bea JMX not found on startup
    931605 Newbie
    I think I figured out the solution:

I was using:

beanServer = ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer();

and I changed it to:

beanServer = MBeanServer.class.cast( ctx.lookup( "java:comp/jmx/runtime" ) );

The first statement works on my local dev machine but fails on the linux cluster. The second works on both, at least running under weblogic. When I run an isolated junit test then I have to use the first statement.

Paul.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points