6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 12:08 AM by onedbguru

Listener issue in RAC?

Hello,

We have a RAC 5 nodes 11.2.0.2.2 running on linux redhat. We have configured 2 listeners; default scan listener listening to port 1521 and listener_2 for application usage listening to port 1522.

When I issue the command srvctl status listener, the ouput is showing that both listener are enabled and running on ALL nodes. But when I do for only 2 nodes, node 3 and 5:
      netstat -an|grep LISTE|grep 152
      tcp        0      0 10.119.155.147:1521         0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      
      unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     405152825 /var/tmp/.oracle/sLISTENER_OAM
      unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     405152827 /var/tmp/.oracle/s#22900.1
      unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     405152829 /var/tmp/.oracle/s#22900.2
      There is nothing listening on that socket for 1522.

When I do on the node 3 and node 5: telnet the connection refused on both nodes
      telnet racdb05 1522
      Trying 10.119.156.17...
      telnet: connect to address 10.119.156.17: Connection refused
      telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
      where I can telnet the other 3 nodes without issues.

Do you think it is a configuration issue? or it is normal?

Thanks ,
      Diego
        • 1. Re: Listener issue in RAC?
          onedbguru
          In a 5-node cluster with 3 SCAN listeners, you should not see them on at least two nodes.

Obfuscate the output from:

srvctl config scan
          srvctl config scan_listener
          srvctl config listener
          srvctl config listener_2
          srvctl status scan
          srvctl status scan_listener
          srvctl status listener
          srvctl status listener_2

sqlplus / as sysdba
          show parameter listener -- will show the config for local and remote listeners.

With SCAN listeners, I am not sure why you would need the listener_2
          • 2. Re: Listener issue in RAC?
            listener_2 is for application usage not the scan.

When I issue the command srvctl status listener, the output is showing that both listener are enabled and running on ALL nodes. But when I do for only 2 nodes, from node 3 and node 5:
            netstat -an|grep LISTE|grep 152
            tcp        0      0 10.119.155.147:1521         0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      
            unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     405152825 /var/tmp/.oracle/sLISTENER_OAM
            unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     405152827 /var/tmp/.oracle/s#22900.1
            unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     405152829 /var/tmp/.oracle/s#22900.2
            There is nothing listening on that socket for 1522.

When I do on the node 3 and node 5: telnet the connection refused on both nodes
            telnet racdb05 1522
            Trying 10.119.156.17...
            telnet: connect to address 10.119.156.17: Connection refused
            telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
            where I can telnet the other 3 nodes without issues.

Do you think it is a configuration issue? or it is normal?

Edited by: Diego on Apr 27, 2012 11:16 AM
            • 3. Re: Listener issue in RAC?
              Balazs Papp
              is the listener really running?
              ps -ef | grep tns
              is it really listening on the intended endpoint?
              lsnrctl status listener_2
              • 4. Re: Listener issue in RAC?
                onedbguru
                Diego wrote:
                listener_2 is for application usage not the scan.
                WHAT?? Sounds like you need to go back to the concepts manual to get a better picture of the NEW Oracle listener(s) and if you are trying to configure it manually in RAC that is a VERY BAD idea. If you are going to use SCAN, you don't need listener_2. IMPO, using a second listener in RAC with SCAN defeats the purpose of SCAN.

What is the definition of listener_2? My guess is that when you configured listener_2 you used the SCAN hostnames and therefore only starts on the 3 nodes with SCAN. You would need to use the host Public VIPS. Using a second listener like this means that you will to manually configure your TNS entries to even use them - which totally defeats the purpose of SCAN. Without using SCAN, you will need to try and do all of the load balancing yourself - again defeating the purpose of SCAN SINGLE CLIENT ACCESS NAME. You don't need to create your own connection scheme for load balancing or throughput - Let Oracle handle it.
                • 5. Re: Listener issue in RAC?
                  Hi onedbguru,
                  Please read again and carefully what I posted! I am not configuring a new SCAN listener. You are answering to a question that I never posted.
                  • 6. Re: Listener issue in RAC?
                    onedbguru
                    If you provided ALL of the information requested, maybe someone could figure out what is your real problem. did you read the answer? You have a configuration problem. Re-read my post and follow instructions - you cannot expect a simple answer to a question as vague as "it doesn't work".

srvctl status scan
                    srvctl status scan_listener
                    srvctl status listener
                    srvctl status listener_2

on all nodes:
                    lsnrctl status listener_2
                    lsnrctl status listener

Again, it appears you used the scan-address when configuring the listener_2 which could explain why you can only connect to listener_2 on nodes where SCAN is running. But I cannot verify that without seeing the information I requested. - you can obfuscate the names/ipaddresses, however, make sure it is a one-for-one obfuscation.

2nd point - I find in a RAC-with-SCAN environment that secondary listeners are a waste of time and effort. and I have dealt with extremely high transaction systems. (inserts > 1TB/day w/thousands of concurrent users).