This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 1:16 PM by 648299 RSS

Best Practice Question on Heartbeat Network

user897654321 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
After running 3.0.3 a few weeks in production, we are wondering if we set up our Heartbeat /Servers correctly.

We have 2 servers in our Production Server pool. Our LAN, a 192.168.x.x network, has the Virtual IP of the Cluster (heartbeat), the 2 main IP addresses of the servers, and a NIC assigned to each guest. All of this has been configured on the same network. Over the weekend, I wanted to separate the Heartbeat onto a new network, but when trying to add to the pool I received:

Cannot add server: ovsx.mydomain.com, to pool: mypool. Server Mgt IP address: 192.168.x.x, is not on same subnet as pool VIP: 192.168.y.y

Currently, I only have one router that translate our WAN to our LAN of 192.168.x.x. I thought the heartbeat would strictly be internal and would not need to be routed anywhere and just set up as a separate VLAN and this is why I created 192.168.y.y. I know that the servers can have multiple IP addresses, and I have 3 networks added to my OVM servers. 192.168.x.x, 192.168.y.y and 192.168.z.z. y and z are not pingable from anything but the servers themselves or one of the guests that I have assigned that network to. I can not ping them directly from our office network, even through the VPN which only gives us access to 192.168.x.x.

I guess I can change my Sever Mgt IP away from 192.168.x.x to 192.168.y.y, but can I do that without reinstalling the VM server? How have others structured there networks especially relating to the heartbeat?

Is there any documentation/guides that would describe how to set up the networks properly relating to the heartbeat?

Thanks for any help!!
  • 1. Re: Best Practice Question on Heartbeat Network
    user897654321 Newbie
    Not getting many responses, so can others who have Oracle VM 3.0.3 in Production describe their environments especially pertaining to network and heartbeat configuration?
  • 2. Re: Best Practice Question on Heartbeat Network
    648299 Newbie
    Hello user,

In order to change your environment, what you could do is go to the Hardware tab -> Network. Within here you can create new networks and also change via the Edit this Network pencil icon what networks should manage what roles (i.e. Virtual Machine, Cluster Heartbeat, etc). In my past experience, I've had issues changing the cluster heartbeat once it has been set. If you have issues changing it, via the OVM Manager, one thing you could do is change it manually via the /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf file. Also, if it successfully lets you change it via the OVM Manager, verify it within the cluster.conf to ensure it actually did your change. This is where that is being set. However, doing it manually can be tricky because OVM has a tendency to like to revert it's changes back to its original state say after a reboot. Of course I'm not even sure if they support you manually making that change. Ideally, when setting up an OVM environment, best practice would be to separate your networks as much as possible i.e. (Public network, private network, management network, clusterhb network, and live migration network if you do a lot of live migrating, otherwise you can probably place it with say the management network).

Hope that helps,

Roger

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points